☆Chapter 1☆

A/N: Hi! I just wanted to tell you what's the meaning of each font:

If you see normal, it's narration; 

if you see Italics, it's a dream or things that happen elsewhere; 

if you see Italics and underline, it's the character's thoughts.

Now, enjoy the story :)

____

-Emily's POV---

I always wondered what it felt like to be someone else, to have another life, a different destiny. I thought that maybe my parents would still be together, and that instead of working at an antiques and random objects shop to help my mother pay rent and my sister's education, I would be on my way to college just like every normal kid of my age.

But no. From the moment I open my eyes to the darkness of the night, I have to endure every day's routine: Wake up, prepare little Kelly for school, work at the rare objects shop, eat, go back to work, pick Kelly from school, and wait for Thomas' call to see if there is anything extra I can do for a little bit of money.

Everyday repeats itself like a broken record generating the same outcome: mom drinking on the couch with a bunch of debt papers, and me laying on my bed drawing weird places that only exist in my imagination.

This cycle kept happening until it was interrupted by an interesting letter found at our doorsteps by non other than my 7 years old sister, Kelly.

"Emi?", she yelled.

"Yeah?", I answered from the kitchen.

"I found papers near the door!"

"Alright... Just take them and close the door, it's cold outside."

"Oki!!", she replied.

After washing my hands, I took the pile of papers from my sister's hold. It contained the usual mail we received weekly, except that this time there was a navy-blue envelope that was send by the new governor herself, Maya Goodwater.

Promptly, I ran to my room to open the letter before my mother took it and held me from knowing what it was about.

In the envelope, there was a delicate yellow sheet of paper announcing an invitation for both me and my mother to the 21rst of June celebration held each year, but this time we had the opportunity to attend Maya's personal party at one of her mansions. It specified that the subject of this invitation would be fully explained at the party, but that it concerned our family's properties.

It was no surprise to anyone that visited our neighborhood that every single person hated the governor, mostly my mother. I mean... You can't really blame her. It was Maya's business dealings that pushed my father to loose his job, go into debt pushed by some promise the governor did, and abandon his family.

Filled with surprise, I ran out of my room the moment I heard my mother arrive. After I said hi, I guided her to the couch and gave her the letter.

While I saw this as an opportunity to negotiate and get more information about my father, my mother saw this as a menace for our drowning family.

"No, Emily. There is no way we are attending this party as she calls it! You know that the only thing it is, is a nest of hypocrite people who benefit from people like us." she argumented.

"But mom, it's not really like we have a choice, and you know that. The second we refuse to operate, we could be sent on trial and loose everything, just like the Borbon family did." I insisted, before saying: "We could use this as an opportunity to negotiate for more money and know more information about dad's whereabouts!"

"We are not going and that's final!", she screamed, "It was your father's choice to leave us for some cheap deal she offered him. Right now, we only have each other. If Maya wants to take us down, then at least we will stay together."

"But at what cost mom?! Did you think about Kelly's future? About mine? Everything was taken away from us! And you want to give her more??" I shouted before running to my room and slamming the door.

Soon after I closed the door, I collapsed on the floor, putting my hands on my face to prevent my tears to fall. I didn't want to keep living the way I did, always tired and lost. I wanted to be happy and free.

I kept crying for what felt like an eternity until I tiredly closed my eyes and let sleep englobe me.

The first thing that I saw was burning orange sand expanding all over the horizon. Suddenly, I turned my head to see what was behind me. What looked like black sand on the soil was following me closely, like numerous snakes stalking their prey. Desperately, I moved my arms and legs faster. It's funny, I didn't even know I was running... I started feeling sweat sliding down my forehead and my back. My heartbeat increased as my vision started blurring.

Fear. Terror. That's what I felt. I tried to sprint faster only to realize that the black shadows were catching up.

"Don't give up." I heard "If you do, I'll never forgive you."

At that instant, I opened my eyes with a gasp.

My mother was knocking the door.

****************

A/N: First chapter! 

I hope this caught your attention!!

I'm excited for what's to come :)