Chapter 21: Conclusion

That evening as Mycroft sat at the table with his wife, his brother, John Watson, and dear little Rosie—he considered how far he'd come in life the past two years. He'd long considered himself a success in his endeavors, at least in the realm of business. He'd always considered personal endeavors tedious and a necessity rather than preferred. As much as he'd always deeply cared for his family, he'd always written it off as a necessity of blood relation, not a matter of the heart.

Of course, Mycroft Holmes always considered his heart to be frozen and useless—until Sophia Cartwright walked in. He should have expected that Sherlock might have harbored some feelings for the woman as well—after all, both Holmes brothers suffered from a similar affliction, high intelligence and a refusal to believe they could use both their intellect and their emotions without one interfering with the other.

John Watson had started the process of awareness for Sherlock, with Sophia only opening his eyes further. For Mycroft, Sophia had ripped right through every wall, every layer of ice, that he'd ever built around his heart.

Now, as Rosie Watson regaled all present with a tale of a worm she'd found at the park that day, Mycroft looked around the table and allowed himself a small smile. Yes, he was pleased with how things had turned out, and he wondered—what did the future hold for he, his family, and friends?

—THE END—