Chapter 4: Meet the Parents

"Mycroft, look! There they are!" She exclaimed as she peered out the window of the private jet, they were aboard.

He scooted slightly closer to her, slipping one arm around her shoulders and rested his hand on her knee as he leaned over to look out at the Blue Ridge mountains. The sun was just setting, and it made for a spectacular view. "They are beautiful, darling. I see why you love them so much."

"Oh, Mycroft. I love London, but I do miss this," she said, misty eyed.

His eyes were back on her and he gently stroked the back of her neck. "I'm glad we could come here then, love."

Soon they were in a rental car and Sophia was in the driver's seat. She noticed Mycroft's right hand gripping his knee and smirked. "Having a rough time handling the right side of the road, my love?"

"Every time I go to a country which drives on the opposite side of the road, I find it difficult at first to adjust. You seem to have taken back to it quite quickly."

"I guess it's sort of like they say about riding a bike. It comes back to you."

"I wouldn't know, I never learned how to ride a bike. Not a real one at least, just the stationary one in my exercise room."

"That seems sad."

"Yes, well, Sherlock and I—and Euros while she was with us—we had a unique childhood."

"I'm sure it was. I wonder what your mother will think of me—when she finally does meet me?"

"We've discussed before, she'll attempt an air of disdain at your home country but will soon be wooed by kindness and your wit, I've no doubt."

"I hope so."

"But for now, it should be me worrying over parental approval—I'm about to walk into the fire, as they say."

"You'll do fine, Mycroft—they're terribly impressed by your job—of which I've told them very, very little, of course—and your sophistication. My father has his own way of trying to be funny and make light of things, and I apologize in advance if he does a pitiful impersonation of a British accent. He'll probably embarrass me terribly, but I hope you'll stick around endure it, if only for my sake. He means well, and we are very close. I was quite the daddy's girl growing up. He'll probably also attempt to intimidate you, but most likely with a hint of humor so you'll know he isn't serious."

"Daddy's girl—protective father checking out the new British boyfriend—got it," Mycroft said as he looked out the window. It was dark, but he could make out the shadows of the mountains in the distance and the farmlands as they drove past. "And your mother? Tell me more about her."

"You already know—she's the reason I first got into computers and technology. At 35 years old, when I was only 8 or 9, she brought home an old computer from work and sat me at it. I learned basic programming and commands, and my knowledge grew from there—mostly by experience. By the time I went to university, I already knew much of what I would end up learning in classes."

"And your father, he was in construction?"

"Building houses and making improvements on them, yes. He built the house they live in now. It's gorgeous. I think you're going to love it. Lots of natural wood. Your home and office both reminded me of it a little. And their view is amazing. They are both retired now."

"And you lived in this home with them?"

"Until I graduated from university. My school wasn't far from home, so to save money I stayed at home and commuted to school every day. Then I graduated and moved for my first job."