Chapter 6: A New Year

"Thank you again, Mycroft, for going all the way to America with me for Christmas."

"You act as if it was such a bother. I truly had an enjoyable time. I wish holidays with my family were that pleasant."

"My father was on surprisingly good behavior this week. Amazingly so, in fact. He must really like you. Either that, or my mother threatened him within an inch of his life."

"I'm sure, my dear, that it was my charm and not your mother's threats." Mycroft said with a grin as he held Sophia close in the foyer of her flat. He'd walked in with her to carry her bags and had his driver waiting downstairs.

"Yes, of course, I'm sure it was," she said with an equally cheeky grin. "So, back to work for you?"

"For a few days. But I promised Mother and Father I'd go visit them New Year's Eve and stay over. I wondered—would you join me?"

She grinned. "So, I'll still be meeting your parents this holiday?"

"That's my plan, if you find it acceptable."

"I'd love to, Mycroft. Thank you for inviting me."

"Of course, love. You're the most important thing in my life, I want you to be a part of everything that is my life."

Sophia smiled warmly, not quite able to believe the words that had just came out of Mycroft's mouth. "That might be the sweetest thing you've ever said to me."

Mycroft's face went straight, and he spoke in a dry tone. "Yes, I'm going to have to go think through my next great romantic compliment now. It shall take me days to work out something to top that one." He then dropped the act and smiled wide. "Truly, though—I'm so happy, Sophia. Happy I got to meet your family. Happy to have you in my life and get to celebrate the coming of the New Year with you. And happy to spend the next year and hopefully many more with you."

"I'm happy too, Mycroft, I—" suddenly a huge yawn escaped Sophia's mouth. And she blinked a few times when it finally finished. "Oh, my goodness, I'm sorry about that."

He let out a chuckle. "Don't apologize. It was a long flight and coming back across the time zones is even more treacherous. You should take it easy tomorrow—it's going to hit you even harder then."

Sophia nodded. "I'm so glad I took plenty of time off."

"As am I. Call me when you're up tomorrow morning and we'll discuss arrangements for our travel over New Years, alright?"

Another nod, but this time Sophia leaned into him and went up to her tip toes to engage him in a long deep kiss. By the end, she was leaned back against the door and he was leaning into her, one hand pressing into the door beside her head, holding up his weight, while the other rested at the nape of her neck. When the kiss broke, they both breathed in deeply and he gave her another soft smile. "Good night, Sophia."

"Good night, Mycroft."

****

"Mother, Father, may I introduce Sophia Cartwright, one of Scotland Yard's finest."

"A police officer?" Mr. Holmes questioned.

"No sir, a digital forensic specialist."

Mr. Holmes nodded, and Mrs. Holmes just continued to eye her for a moment before finally speaking. "And an American."

"Yes, ma'am. I moved to London almost two years ago."

"And when do you intend on returning to your home country?" The question held disdain that Sophia had prepared herself for. Not only had Mycroft warned her, but Sherlock had even visited her office at the Yard when he learned of Mycroft's invitation to her for New Years. She'd been shocked by the younger Holmes brother's concern for her wellbeing and felt the need to warn her of his mother's ability to use words like the sharpest of blades to cut deep into a person's psyche.