Chapter 10: A Patriot

The next afternoon, the Cartwright family, except for the two young grandsons of Mr. & Mrs. Cartwright—whom were down in the basement playing video games—were all gathered in the sitting area of the mountain home that Sophia had visited just a few months earlier for Christmas. They'd visited the funeral home that morning and arrangements had been set for two days later. Mycroft had been on and off the phone, taking most of his calls from the deck or downstairs in the office. He had just come back up and looked apologetic.

"I am terribly sorry to have to keep taking calls," he said with a bowed head, directed towards his future mother-in-law, as he sat down next to Sophia.

"It's alright, dear boy, I know you are a very busy man with your job. It means a great deal to me—to us—that you would come all this way with Sophia."

"I wouldn't dream of not being here to support her—and you all—in whatever way I can."

Just then, his phone rang again, and he sighed. But when he pulled his phone out of his coat pocket, his eyes went wide. "I am sorry, but I must take this call."

He quickly was back up and stepping out onto the deck.

"Exactly how 'minor' did you say his position in the British government, was, Sophia?" Daniel—her brother—asked as he watched the man closely through the glass doors.

"You know I can't discuss that, Daniel."

Just then, Mycroft stepped back in, but with the phone still held to his ear. "Yes, ma'am. Please just give me a moment and I'll see if she's available."

Mycroft turned to Mrs. Cartwright with a most peculiar look on her face. "I'm sorry, Mrs. Cartwright, but I have someone on the line who would very much like to speak to you and express her condolences. I think you might want to take this call."

Elizabeth Cartwright gave a confused frown before holding out her hand. "Well, I suppose, if you say so, Mycroft."

"Perhaps I'll just put it on speaker so the rest of the family can hear," he said quietly, and put his finger over his mouth to hush everyone as he handed her the phone and tapped the speaker button.

"Hello? Who's this?" Sophia's mother said shakily.

"Yes, is this Mrs. Elizabeth Cartwright?"

"It is."

"Please hold for the Queen," the woman's voice called out.

Everyone in the room—Sophia, her brother and his wife gasped before another voice came over the line. "Yes, hello?"

"Um, h-hello there—your majesty."

"Mrs. Cartwright, I understand we share a given name. You are Elizabeth, correct?"

"Y-yes, ma'am."

"I wanted to call and express mine and Sir Phillip's deepest condolences on the loss of your husband. I can't imagine quite what my life would be like without my Phillip. I understand your Paul was a true patriot of the Unites States of America, a skilled carpenter, and a good and honorable man. I wish you the best, and our family will be praying for yours in the coming days. I have had flowers ordered that should be present at the memorial service. I do hope that they bring some good feelings on what I know will be a sad day."

"Th-thank you, ma'am. Thank you, very much."

"You are so very welcome. Could I please speak to Mycroft now, Mrs. Cartwright?"

"Yes, ma'am. I'll just pass over the phone. Good—goodbye." The woman's eyes grew even wider as she held the phone out to Mycroft.

He took the phone, tapped the speaker button, and out of habit, straightened his suit jacket before placing the phone to his ear. "Good afternoon, Your Majesty." He listened for a moment and nodded. "Yes, ma'am, I will be sure they are... yes, ma'am, I will. Of course, ma'am. Oh—well, thank you, ma'am. That is appreciated. Yes... yes, I will tell her you said so. Very good. Goodbye, ma'am." He hung up the phone and looked to Sophia. "The Queen, eh—said to tell you 'hello'."