Chapter 11: Surprise Guests

Mycroft had just followed Sophia's mother's instructions and moved to stand by his fiancée's side. He slipped his hand around hers and laced their fingers together just before he noted her slight gasp. "Mycroft, you didn't—"

He saw that her attention was at the door and turned, a smile creasing his lips at the sight of Sherlock Holmes and John Watson standing in the doorway, looking around.

She pulled him along behind her as she approached, only letting go of his hand at the last minute as she wrapped her arms around Sherlock's neck and squeezed him tight. "Sherlock Holmes, you came all this way—for me?"

Sherlock looked down at her with a soft smile. "Have you not yet come to realize just how much the entire Holmes family loves you, Sophia Cartwright? Of course, I came."

She then turned to John, "And you too—I can't believe you. What about Rosie?"

"Molly and Mrs. Hudson are keeping an eye on her while I'm away. I couldn't very well let Sherlock cross the Atlantic on his own—imagine the nightmare he'd be with customs if he didn't have someone to babysit him?"

She chuckled and smiled warmly at them both. "This means so much to me, you two. Really."

"Mother and Father send their love," Sherlock said, giving her another smile.

"As do Molly, Greg, and Mrs. Hudson—and Rosie, of course," John added.

"Come on, let me introduce you both to my family," she said, leading them all towards her mother, brother, and his wife and children.

"Mom, these are two of my friends—family really, from London. This is Sherlock, Mycroft's brother—and his best friend and partner in crime-solving—John Watson. I've told you all about them. Boys," she said, referring to Sherlock and John, "This is my mom, Elizabeth Cartwright."

Sherlock took her hand and gave a slight bow. "Mrs. Cartwright, it is an honor to meet you. You have my deepest condolences on your loss."

"Oh, the detective and the doctor, yes? It's nice to meet you both. You've really traveled all the way here for us? Thank you so much. It's so good to see that Sophia is surrounded my people who care for her so much."

"There are many more we had to leave back in London, ma'am. Your daughter is well loved, and she makes it easy. You can be very proud of the woman you raised," John said as he shook her mother's hand.

"Why, Sophia, are all the men in London such gentlemen?" Mrs. Cartwright said with a sweet smile.

Sophia giggled. "Not nearly—and these three cause plenty of trouble at times, too. But they are terrible sweet and good to me, aren't they," she said, looking adoringly at both her fiancé and her friends.

"Aunt Sophie," her youngest nephew, Jonah, whispered as he tugged on her sleeve. "Introduce us."

Sophia grinned. "Sherlock, John, this is my brother Daniel and his wife Janice. And these are their two boys, Jonah and DJ. The boys are quite big fans of yours—they read the blog," she said with a wink.

"This is so cool. Aunt Sophie knows so many famous people. Did you know we got a call from," Jonah, leaned in and looked around conspiratorially before whispering, "the Queen of England!"

Sherlock turned to his brother with a raised eyebrow, and Mycroft merely shrugged.

"Boys," Sophia chided them quietly. "I told you that call was because of Mycroft's job. I don't personally know the Queen of England."

"You mean Uncle Mycroft," DJ said with a grin. "Coolest Uncle, ever."

Mycroft beamed with pride. He'd had many fringe benefits to his job over the years, but when he'd gotten the call from the Queen's personal assistant saying that she'd heard from the Prime Minister about Mycroft's absence due to his fiancée's father's death—he'd never expected such benefits as being deemed 'coolest uncle.' He thought, however, that it might perhaps be one he could become most proud of.