Chapter 10: A Patriot

Start from the beginning

Daniel crossed his arms, shaking his head. "Minor position, my eye."

Mycroft smirked. "Your sister said something very similar not too long after first meeting me."

"Mycroft," Mrs. Cartwright said shakily. "I know I can't begin to understand or know what you do—but never in my wildest dreams did I imagine it would lead to me getting a call from the Queen of England!"

"Admittedly it is a bit of a shock myself, I assure you I wasn't expecting that phone call."

"But you've had phone calls with her before. Spoken to her. Met her," Daniel said, not in question, but statement of fact.

Mycroft nodded humbly. "Yes. Yes, I have."

Suddenly, a surprise to everyone, Mrs. Cartwright let out a giggle.

"Mom?" Sophia said, leaning forward and looking cautiously at her mother. "What is it?"

"Hold on, I'll just go get it..." She stood and walked towards her room. A few moments later she was coming back out with something held behind her back. "Mycroft, dear, no matter how hard a time my husband gave you, I do hope you know how much he really truly liked you. As you know, he was quite the joker, and enjoyed a good laugh. I feel I should remind you of that before I give you this."

"Give me something?"

"Paul wanted you to have it," she said before a grin came across her face and she pulled out from behind her back—a black ball cap with a large American flag patch on the front.

In unison, everyone in the room started laughing. Mycroft couldn't help the smile that covered his face as he shook his head and looked at the ball cap he now held in his hands. With a sigh he plopped down on the sofa next to Sophia, still looking at it. Just as they laughter had started to die down; he gave in and slipped the cap on to his head. Everyone began laughing again even more raucously. Laughter eventually turned into some tears, and the family grew quiet again.

"Mom, we need to talk about the wedding," Sophia said after a few minutes.

"I've been thinking about it," Daniel interrupted before his mother could answer. "I'd be honored to walk you down the aisle, Soph, if you'll allow me."

"I think that would be beautiful," Mrs. Cartwright said with a sweet smile to her son, then to her daughter. "I know it will be a difficult day for all of us, but your father will be there with us in spirit—and he'd want nothing more than for you to continue on in the happiness you've found with Mycroft, my sweet girl."

"But—so soon—are—are you sure?"

"You can't be suggesting that you delay? No, no, that won't do at all, my dear."

"Um, if I have to tell the boys their trip to London is rescheduled, I might never hear the end of it. In which case I'm shipping them off to live with you for a few months," Janice, Daniel's wife spoke up with a comforting smile to Sophia.

Sophia gave each of her family members a grateful smile. "I—I feel so strange feeling so happy in this moment. Thank you so much all of you for being so supportive of us when this is so hard for all of us."

"You know your daddy didn't want too much sadness."

"Then perhaps he shouldn't have been such a good man," Mycroft said without a second thought at his words.

The family members all smiled at him and Elizabeth Cartwright spoke, "He thought you were a good man, too, Mycroft."

Daniel snorted. "Dad would have absolutely flipped over that phone call." He shook his head again before leaning it back against the sofa he shared with his wife and muttered, "The Queen of England."

*****

Two days later, as the family stood nearby the casket awaiting the pre-service visitation to begin, Daniel elbowed his mother. "Mom, look, that must be them," he whispered.

Two men came in carrying a huge bouquet of red, white, and blue flowers. Mycroft was tailing them, ensuring the flowers were well taken care. Once they'd set them down in an acceptable location, Mycroft waved them off and approached the family. "The Queen asked that I personally see that the flowers were safely delivered and placed in an attractive, yet discreet, location. Is it acceptable?"

Mrs. Cartwright took hold of the man's arm and squeezed. "Mycroft, they are remarkable, and they look wonderful right where you've had them placed. Thank you so much."

"Of course, Mrs. Cartwright. Is there anything else I can do for you?"

She smiled. "No thank you, son. Just be there for my daughter just as you have been."

He nodded and gave a slight bow. "It would be my honor."