CHASE - 9

ELLIE CARPENTER

"Let's play truth or drink!" Harper suggests. 

"You know that game does basically tell the truth even when you do drink, right?" Chase says. We all sit in a circle anyway with our drinks and bottles of alcohol infront of us.

"Never stopped you from playing." I say in an obvious tone.

He doesn't answer because he knows I'm right. But this is lame, we all know everything about each other and it's just another way of drinking more. 

"Alright, alright. Let's start, Chase, truth or drink, have you ever cheated on a test?" Beau asks him. 

Chase gives in. "I have, all of us have, on the same test."

That's true, I was the only one who studied last year practically, and with such a small school, we all practically have the same classes besides our different electives. 

"Ellie." Harper says. "Is it true that a producer contacted you to have a meeting."

Fuck, that was true. I never answered him, though. I wasn't sure if it was legit. I take a sip from my drink. Chase eyes me. "Beau, is it true that you're planning to join the military?" I asked him.

That's right. i went there. I needed the tension of off me. I saw the pamphlet on his desk when we went over for his party. It was filled out.  "That's a new low for you, Ellie." Beau says after taking his sip.

"What?!" Harper says. Okay, maybe I shouldn't have gone there. "Beau, we talked about this. You went behind my back anyway."

"You had a producer contact you?" Chase asks me. "Why didn't you tell me? Did you answer?"

"I didn't answer. I didn't think too much about it." I answer honestly.

"They had an event at school. I thought it was interesting. I never wanted to go to college anyway and this is good for me." Beau says after me.

Harper doesn't hate the military or anything like that, but she's seen first hand what it does to people, to her family especially. She doesn't want anyone she knows go through that, or the chance of not coming home in the first place. 

"You should've told me." Chase tells me, completely ignoring the other conversation that's going on. He sounds mad.

I shake my head. "It isn't that big of a deal. I never answered so I doubt they're still interested in me." 

"I want you to withdraw your application, Beau. You know-"

"Of course I know how you feel about it but I also know how I feel about it." Beau cuts her off. "I want to do this, it's good for me, it has great benefits and I get to serve this country. I want to do this, wether it means staying here or going somewhere else."

"That's not fair." Harper says. "There's many other ways to do all of that and not having to put yourself on the front line, while I don't know where you are or if you're even alive."

"You should've answered him, Ellie. The worse that could happen is that you need to find a new producer."

I roll my eyes. "You can't go back and forth with how you feel about me making music, Chase."

He sighs. "I know, but I also know that no matter how I feel, you want this and you are stupid for not responding." 

Ouch. Okay. I thought I was doing both of us a favor. "Whatever, Chase."

"Fine, Harper." Beau sighs. "Ellie, want a beer?" He asks me while getting up and going into the kitchen.

"Yep, I'll even go with you." I say.

Once in the kitchen, I apologise to Beau. "I'm really sorry. I shouldn't have done that." 

"It's alright, you wanted the pressure to come of off you. I get it. And she would've found out sooner or later. I'm surprised she hadn't yet actually."

I nod. "So, the military, huh?" I say. "What branch?"

He shrugs. "Army or navy. I haven't given it much thought. They won't take my application until senior year so I have time." He explains. "A producer, huh?"

I groan. "I don't even want to talk about it. Especially with Chase being up my ass about it all the time. I just want him to lay off." 

Beau nods. "Yeah, I get that, but he just wants what's best for you."

I know that, but I can protect myself, boyfriend or no boyfriend. 

"So does Harper." I point out.

He nods agreeing. "Aren't we lucky?"

I laugh. "Yeah. We are."

I close the door after Beau and Harper leave.

I lean on it facing Chase. "I'm sorry." We say both at the same time and then laugh.

"I support your dreams, Blondie, I just can't help but be protective, but it doesn't mean you shouldn't go for it." He explains. "As much as I'm up your ass all the time." Chase smirks. Caught red handed.

"I should've told you, I just honestly thought it was some sort of scam and I think I'm just not ready for something serious like that, especially under a contract. I want to do my own thing." 

"I get that. But don't pass up anymore opportunities, okay? And I want to be the first to know."

I bring him into a hug. "You got it."