CHASE - 7

Ellie Carpenter

Today momma, Harper, Mrs. Jones and I are going homecoming dress shopping in Knoxville. Knoxville ain't too fancy too most people but it's basically the New York City of Eastern Tennessee.

We are driving to downtown and conversation is running low which is unusual with the four of us, but I appreciate it since the rumors recently have been involving Chase and me anyway. Harper and I are just checking dresses online, connection gets better the more into town we get.

"Oh, Elle, I want you to keep your bedroom door open from now on when Chase is over." My momma says randomly. "Mrs. Sullivan agrees and it also applies when you go over to his."

"Why?" I ask not understanding. We've always hung out, why now? Just because we're dating?

"Well, you're both teenagers we are obviously happy that the two of you are together but you both have to respect The Lord's wishes and keep touchin' and kissin' to the minimum until marriage."

My face goes red. I don't know why that didn't even cross my mind. "Momma, I doubt you gotta worry bout that. We're too young for it anyway."

"Door still stays open." She insisted.

"Yes ma'am." I doubt I'd win this argument, because she does have a point so I don't argue.

"just close it when they ain't home." Harper whispers to me.

"I rather not risk it."

"Chase might."

Oh.

You see, I ain't that innocent, I know what goes on but I forget that Chase has done these things, things I haven't done yet. Does he expect me to do them?

"I just want to think about dress shopping now."

I take my mind off the conversation, open instagram and take a random cover to post. I do so and before I turn off my phone, I text Chase that I'm doing so.

When we get to Knoxville we go to a few stores, but none of them have what I want while Harper finds her pratically immediately.

"We can always come back next weekend-" My mom starts to say but I stop her.

"Ma, you've barely got anytime for yourself. If I don't find it today, I'll figure it out myself." I remind her. "I can just get some get some materials back home and make something myself. Makes it easier to have somethin' unique anyway."

"Mrs. Carpenter, that's a great idea. I could help her make it." Harper tells my mom. I see the excitement on her face. She loves fashion. Just like me but she's the creative one.

"Alright, hun." Mom sighs, but I see how disappointed she is we can't go shopping together. "But you ain't payin' for it. Your father is."

I smile. "Yes, ma'am." That wasn't going to be a problem. We went out to get lunch after shopping and walked around the city. Harper wanted to see the University of Tennessee, so we did, and I'm pretty sure she fell in love with it more than she'll ever be in love with Beau, and that's a lot.

I was missing Chase. Real bad. Not only he was my boyfriend, but my best friend, my rock, my emotional support human. This college thing was making me feel weird and he would make this feel easier. My mom kept looking at me for me to say something as Harper was raving about her major and the campus.

That isn't what I want. I want to make music and write songs. I want to be out on broadway and one day make it to the Grand Ole Opry. I'm a good student - don't get me wrong but I can't sit still, and I can't do this for another 6 years.

"Ellie?"

"Huh?" I snap out of my thoughs.

"I said there's a music major here. Maybe you should check it out." My mom says.

I shrug. "Maybe, but I already know how to write and play."

"Don't hurt to get a degree to prove it."

"Don't think I need a piece of paper to prove how talented I am." I snap and then regret it. "Sorry, Ma. Just wish I had my dress already." I lie. I think she sees right through me.

She hugs me anyway, "It's alright sweetie. I'm sure it'll be beautiful and that you'll get it on time."

CHASE SULLIVAN

Baseball practice is awkward. Between Jake being harsh on me during practice and Ellie having her phone shut off, this feels like a preview of hell.

My dad is also here along some recruiters so tensions are high. As much as this is a small town, they still go all over Tennessee. The best players come no name towns anyway.

"Sully! Sprint for 10 minutes!" Jake yells. Moments like this I wish coach took charge. But no complaints when recruiters are around.

I do what he tells me and I'm practically out of breath by the end. When I'm done, I'm told I have to clean up the bench. I shake my head but I just lay low and do so before heading into the lockerroom.

"Man, she really looks fucking hot in that top." I hear from one of my teammates. Nothing new but it kinda ircks me. I hate that Ellie and Harper are right about our reputation.

"Yeah, Sully's one lucky guy. I bet she's real freaky behind that innocent act."

What. The. Hell.

I slam my locker shut and walk over to them. "What the fuck did you just say?" I tell him.

"Oh come on man, you know I'm just-"

I grab him by the neck of his shirt and push him back onto the wall. I think I can hear him sweat. "If I hear those words come out of your mouth one more time, you better say goodbye to baseball."

"You really threating one of my boys?" I heard Jake behind me. Fuck. "Is that really the example you want to set?"

I let him go and turn to Jake. "Don't test me, Jake." I say as I turn back to change.

"Is the cowboy too scared? Trying to be the good guy for his little girlfriend?" My blood is boiling. But I can't do this. I don't respond. "Hey, by the way, once you're done with Ellie, you'll give me her number right?"

I still don't asnwer. I put my duffle bag over my shoulder and I start to walk out. I stop right next to Jake. "You'll be six feet under before you ever even get to touch her." I whisper before walking out.

Me: Where are you?
Ellie: Almost home. Why?
Me: Can I come over?
Ellie: always. I'll get the sweet tea ready.

This girl was really made for me.