CHASE - 1

Chase Sullivan

"Hey, Chasey!" Ellie said plopping next to me and I shook my head. I had to concentrate on my baseball tapes and with her here, baseball would be the last thing on my mind.

States were next week and I have to show my best, not only to win, but to impress coach Armstrong so I have an assured place on Varsity as captain next year.

It was obvious Ellie was bored and it would take a while to cure her boredom. "Is Harper not around?" I ask her.

She shakes her head. "No, her and Beau went into town for a date."

We lived in the outskirts of small town in Tennessee, about two hours away from Knoxville, called Wilder.

Kind of ironic, because nothing wild ever happens here. Or anything at all. Mostly unnecessary gossip that Ellie and Harper take in as if it was my ma's sweet tea, which they drink too much of already. Especially when there's alcohol to add to it when my folks aren't in town.

I see why they like it so much though.

Ellie, Harper, Beau and I are one small friend group but we make the most of the this town than most people do. Harper and Beau started dating in middle school and we are Sophomores now. Both Beau and I are on the baseball team which is why we've been able to keep a tight bond.

"I'm sorry, Blondie, but I gotta watch these tapes." I had been calling her Blondie for as long as I can remember. Nothing beats her gold locks with her farmer's tan that she somehow made look great, and her eyes that made sure they looked like pure gold even in the dark.

"C'mon, Chase. Let's do somethin' real quick."

Her southern accent was strong enough, but it was stronger when she was worried, upset, or annoyed. By her pouty lips and puppy eyes, she was annoyed.

"I just told you I can't."

"You don't need to watch these. You're great already." She tries to grab the tapes but I stop her.

"Ellie, I promised coach I would watch these. Maybe after, alright?" I promise her. "I won't be long."

She sighs. "Can I at least watch with you?"

How could I say no? "Of course. Want me to make some popcorn?"

She nods and I can see how excited she is. "I'll get us some sweet tea."

Told you.

"Okay. Sounds like a plan."

So that's what we did. I made the popcorn while she poured us drinks and we watched baseball until she was bored again and she layed on my lap to read the magazines that my mom buys online.

"Your parents still workin'?" She asks, flipping pages without even looking at pictures.

"Yeah, think so." I respond. "Yours?"

She nods.

Both our parents worked at farms for what it felt like day and night. As much as they had higher positions, they still worked their asses off, on and off the field.

At least they got Sundays off to go to church and both families go together after that.

Best part of my week.

"You buy a homecoming dress yet?" I ask her.

Homecoming was right around the corner and I was getting ready to ask her. She expects me to but not in the way she thinks. If you hadn't caught up already, I'm head over heels for this girl. Harper and Beau know but I'm not sure Ellie has caught on yet.

She's incredibly independent and I think the last thing on her mind his a boyfriend. Especially because if she does feel the same, she wouldn't want to ruin our friendship.

"Momma is supposed to take me into Knoxville this weekend. She'll do the alternations." As country as a girl could get, Ellie still found a way to make it girly in her sundresses and dressing up once in a while.

"You'll have to show me when you get it."

"Of course. You get your suit yet?"

"You know I don't dress up like that, blondie." I remind her.

"You should. For me." She whispers the last part and it's hard for me to contain a smile.

"You think I'd look handsome?" I ask her teasingly but her cheeks grow bright red and it makes my heart race.

"Don't get too ahead of yourself, cowboy. It's a formal event, you should dress nice."

"You need to promise me a lot of dances for me to wear a suit."

"Sure all the girls at school will enjoy that." She jokes. "Wilder High's sweetheart dancing with-"

I stop her before she can finish her sentence. "the prettiest girl in the room."

That shut her up real quick. But so did I. I don't know why I said that.

"Yo! Sullivan!" I hear from the front door. Fuck, I forgot Jake was coming over to watch these tapes with me.

Ellie and Jake hate each other. Like they would literally kill each other if left alone and God knows there isn't a single house in this town without a gun. And Ellie ain't afraid to touch it.

"I'm leaving." She whispers.

"No. Just go-"

"Is that Ellie Carpenter's voice I hear?" Jake says leaning on the door frame to the living room, grinning.

"Same voice you'll hear when you go hell." She answers.

"Not surprised you're goin' down there either." Jake shots back.

"Fuck you, Mullz."

"Wouldn't you like to."

I get up to stand between them. "Stop it. Especially you, Mullzy. Cut it back with those comments." I warm him. Knowing Jake, he believes any girl is into him and will do anything to make that happen.

"She started it!"

Ellie shakes her head. "I'm going home, Chase. I don't wanna be here anymore."

"I'll walk you home." I grab my jacket as it's starting to get chilly here in Tennessee. "Don't touch anything, Jake!"

The walk down to her house it's quiet. It's a five minute walk at the pace we are going but Ellie is still walking ahead of me.

Before we get to her house she stops on her tracks and turns around. "Why are you friends with someone so evil? You are nothin' like him and it disgusts me that you have him around."

"I'm not friends with him. He's my captain I need to hang out with him."

"Beau don't do that."

"Beau isn't tryin' to be the next Captain." I tell her and I grab her arms so she can't get away from me which she'll do in just about any second now.

"He's such an asshole. He's the reason you baseball boys have such a bad reputation."

I shurg. "Some girls like that."

"Well thank God made the rest of us smarter than that." That makes me laugh but I know she's right. Ellie has more of a mind than half the people in this town. "Next time tell me if he comes over, okay?"

"Yes, ma'am."

"Good. Your momma taught you better than to be like him."

"That she did." I agree. "I'll see you tomorrow, blondie." I tell her when I finish walking her home."

"Bye, Chasey."

She gets up on her tiptoes and kisses my cheek.