CHASE - 4

Ellie Carpenter

So we decided to keep it private and even from Harper and Beau. Okay, I think I had to some convincing since Chase wasn't all for that idea but he caved.

But I think I understand now why he didn't want to hide it anymore. The amount of girls sorrounding the baseball team - sorrounding him - enrages me.

And I couldn't tell anyone about it. Which made it all that much worse. My leg is shaking and I'm biting my nails. I'm surprised Harper hasn't say anything about it.

"Hot dog?" She asks me, alright putting it right infront of my face.

"Sure." I smile.

"So what'd you and Chase do yesterday?" She asks me.

"Just hung out. We talked about our fight." Truth. "Nothin' else."

"Really?" She knows. Her eyebrows are wiggling.

We aren't talking about this right now. We are in gossip central and we do not need to add to it. Well not when it involves me and Chase. I give her a shut up look. She does.

"Really." I answer.

The team gets in position to play and the girls finally find their way to the bleachers. Chase is starting pitcher. Thank god. He winks at me and then focuses.

The game starts slow, by the 3rd inning the teams are tied 2-2. I buy myself and Harper some lemonade and go back to our seats. We we're getting tired of being the sun but we had to support the team.

The hot tennessee sun still had an effect in september and the baseball parents made today whole lost less fun. They get more fired up than a summer bondfire.

And Reese Mullz is sitting next to me now. That's the worst part. "Isn't Chase doin' so great?" She asks me but doesn't give me time to answer before she talks again. "I wonder who's he taking to the homecoming since he ain't ask you yet, did he?"

No, but he did ask me to be his girlfriend yesterday

"He is asking her." Harper reassures.

"Well we don't know that for sure." Reese laugh. "If he don't ask someone soon I might ask him myself."

Oh, hell no.

"He's asking her." Harper repeats but harder tone this time. "Don't worry too much."

That last part makes me laugh. "Can't defend yourself, Ellie?" Reese asks me after I have my reaction.

"Oh I can. I just choose my battles."

"Like you told my brother to go to hell?" She asks crossing her arms.

"Ain't like he's destined for heaven." I remind her. "Neither are you."

She huffs and storms off.

Harper and I laugh more and someone else sits next to me. "What are you two beautiful girls laughing about?"

I turn to her. "Hey, Mrs. Sullivan!" I say giving her a hug. "I didn't know you could make it."

"Of course I did! I thought you wouldn't after what happened Saturday and Sunday."

I'm guessing Chase left out the specifics. "He told you?" I ask her.

She shakes her head. "Momma always knows." She reminds me.

I nod agreeing. "Especially you, ma'am."

She gives me a side hug squeezing me. "Aw, I love you so much, Ellie. Chase is one lucky boy."

"If it hadn't been for you and my momma we wouldn't be friends." I remind her. "It's all on y'all."

"You're too sweet, honey." She smiles. "You comin' over tonight if they win?"

"Yes, ma'am. Need me to bring anything?" I ask her but I know she's 10 steps ahead of me. It's always good to ask.

"Oh no. I have it all under control. I'll see you later, ladies!"

A while longer passes and we are winning by a long shot but this is still baseball. Harper and I have munched on more food and gotten looks from certain people but we just ignored them.

"Uuugh! Listen I love Beau and Chase but they could've picked any other sport. It's so damn sunny." Harper complains waiving her face with a napkin.

"Tell me about it." I huff. "Ice hockey for all I care. I don't know know a damn thing about it but I bet it's nice inside those rinks."

Thankfully it was the last inning and it was obvious we were going to win. Harper and I started cheering and waving our posters - yes we brought posters.

As soon as the game was over I ran out of the bleachers and jumped over the fence to meet Chase who was waiting me with open arms while cheering.

He picked me up off the floor into the air and I hugged him tight. "You did it!!!" I say "You did it you did it you did it! I knew it Chase. I am so proud of you." I whispered the last part and I know he can hear me dispite the rest of the celebration because of his squeezing.

"Thank you, Blondie."

I squeezed him back and before I knew it he was being pulled off of me. I was confused until I saw Jake's face.

"Can't even let the cowboy celebrate with his teammates?" He laughs.

I have nothing to answer to that. He was right. I hated it.

"Leave her alone, Mullzy. For the hundredth time."

"Oh come on. You can't be serious?" Jake asks him. "The girl follows you around like a last puppy." He says pointing at me and that's when Chase gets between us.

"That better be the last thing out of your mouth." Chase threatens.

"Or what Sullivan?"

I shake my head not believing this is happening during a celebration. In a public setting. I tug on Chase's arm. "Come on, Chase. He isn't worth it." I remind him. "Your folks are waiting."

He doesn't look back at me. Doesn't even flinch. I don't think I've ever seen him this worked up.

"Not going to listening to your little b-"

"Chase let's go." I cut Jake off before anyone starts throwing punches. By anyone I mean me. Not Chase.

He finally looks back at me and his expression relaxes. "Yeah. Let's leave." He finally gives him.

As we walk to his parents, Beau and Harper stop us.

"Party at my house, at 10pm. Y'all in?" Beau asks with a huge grin on his face and I know why.... The win of course.

"We'll be there." I tell them.