CHASE - 6

Ellie

"I can already see them whispering about me, about us." I mumble.

Chase laughs. "We haven't left your driveway yet."

"We don't need to. Let's skip again."

He shakes his has. "Not today, darling."

I grumble. "Don't use that nickname to soften the blow, it's working"

"Good. I'll stop and get us some coffee to make it up to you." Chase smiles and squeezes my cheek. "I might even let you get a snack with that too."

I close my eyes just thinking about a warm sandwich with my coffee and it makes me really hungry. "Boyfriend Chase is real nice, did you already mess up?"

"No, not yet, but the day just started." his comment makes the both of us laugh. We get my breakfast and Chase's second breakfast (ugh athletes) and we head to school. I don't usually get nervous but pulling into this tiny parking lot is making me really anxious. There should be nothing different about today. We always ride together and we always park in the same spot, next to our best friends.

But this time everyone is looking at us. I can't tell if they are waiting for us to slip up or if they're in aw but either way this is not the kind of attention I seak. I'm not used to dating, let alone my best friend.

"You ready, blondie?"

"Only if you are, cowboy."

He gets out of his truck and comes by my side and opens the door. "Then lets go." He puts his hand out to me. "Before you conquer the world, you goota conquer this small town."

I jump off with his hand. "Already on it."

Harper and Beau join us at the front of the school before going in. "So, people are talking about the show y'all put on Saturday night." Beau brings up.

"Surprise, surprise... They act like Mullz doesn't stick his tongue down a different girls throat every week." Harper scoffs.

"Gross, do not compare me to Jake ever again." I say and I feel the shivers going down my spine just the thought of being compared to that demon.

"Can't be compared if we do it better." Chase smirks at me but I shake my head.

"Not here, Chasey." I remind him.

Despite saturday night's events, we had to set some rules. No PDA at school or really anywhere where someone can see us and start rumors, and both putting our careers first.

That's mainly for me.

"Well, Chase and I have to get goin'. Coach is calling a meeting to announce the new Captain and Assistant Captain." Beau taps Chase's back with a smile.

Chase looks nervous, especially because of how Jake might react. Getting his title stripped away senior year. But he isn't much of a leader if he gets shitfaced multiple times before practice and games.

"Good luck. It'll be great." I tell them.

"Go get 'em!" Harper yells across the hall as they head to the field.

We are left alone and we go to our first period class and we sit next to each other.

"Have you thought of posting any other videos?" Harper asks me. "It's been a while since your last one."

"Yeah, I have." I sigh. "Just trying to perfect all the covers. That last one got so big it's hard to make something just as good."

"I'm sure it will. You're real talented, E."

I blush. "Thank you. It means a lot." Hearing people that I care about say things like that motivates me even more. And it makes me feel good.

Reese comes up to our table without saying hello. "Quite the show you put on saturday night. Everyone is talking about it."

"What can I say? I was made for the spotlight." I respond. "Mad that you and your brother didn't get it for yourself?"

Harper laughs at that. Reese doesn't. "You know, I bet Chase is only pitty dating you because your parents probably begged him to. I mean why else would he?"

Ok, ouch. Eventhough I know she isn't right it still hurt. "I don't understand how it's any of your business."

"Oh it is. It's this whole town's business. Be careful, Ellie. Every move you make is being noted by someone."

"Tell your brother that." I scoff. "He was the one trying to start a fight saturday night."

She smiles devilishly. "Yeah but we all know who would've thrown the first punch if it weren't for your little puppy eyes. Maybe you should tell your cowboy to control his anger issues."

"And you should tell your senior brother to stop flirting with the freshmen."

That shut her up and she walked away. "I swear it's like she has the hots for him. It's so gross." Harper whispers.

I nod. "Tell me about it. It would be hilarious if she went to Alabama University."

"As if she'd get in." Harper laughs. "When are you going to get your homecoming dress?"

Oh, that's right. Homecoming is coming up and I totally forgot. "Soon. I gotta convince momma to take a day off to go into Knoxville."

"No going into music city?"

I shake my head. "No, she said that's prom level." I wanted to go to Nashville, though. Any excuse to go to Nashville and leave this town for a few days at least. "You makin' Beau wear anything fancy?"

"Nah, there's no convincing that man to even wear a tie." Harper sighs. "Let alone a whole suit. Is Chase?"

"I don't know. I brought it up once and he wasn't entirely convinced but I could talk to his mom. She always gets through him."

"Yeah even more than you."

I smile. "I love Mrs. Sullivan. That whole family has a heart of gold."

The rest of of the day goes by smoothly until we get back to my house. Homecoming is in the back of my mind while I do some homework and Chase plays ball. My parents got him equipment for when he's here.

"What's on your mind, Blondie?" Chase asks me.

Ok, mind reader.

"Homecoming. I forgot it was comin' up until Harper said something and hopefully the stores in Knoxville still got something."

He finally stop's batting and sits next to me. "I'm sure you'll find something real pretty. You'll be wearing it afterall." Chase's smug smile makes me laugh.

"What is with you being so nice?"

"Just doin' and sayin' what I haven't been able to do."

I roll my eyes. "I doubt it's been that long."

"Oh Darling, you would be so surprised."

Now that made me blush.