Chapter two- Escapism as usual

As soon as Amber and I enter the club, the lingering smell of marijuana pierce my nose. My eyes blink to adjust to the blue and green lights that move in sync. The throb of rock music played by the DJ pound in my ear and pulsate under my skin. We pass tons of drunk, sweaty people, grinding and dancing against each other, like it's their last day on earth. It is what I always did.

I recognise several people from the coffee shop where I work, but they stare at me not recognising me. My honeyed brown hair bleached red at the tips, glitter lined below and above my eyelids. Dark Bronze eyeshadow amassed at the outer corners of my eyes; with my thin lashes curled, and concealer hid the bags under my eyes, —My appearance had completely changed. 

Two muscular guys dancing winks at me and moves closer to me. I send a grimace towards their direction and deeply more in the crowd. With shuffling feet forward, my shoulder sags waiting for Amber to reappear back. My feet tapping at the beat of the music,stops immediately, as Amber stands beside me holding a crystal liquid swaying in a transparent bottle as she moves from side to side.

'Take it, let's have some fuune,' She slurs, as her eyes give me a go-ahead.

I reach to grab the bottle but a image of a younger version of me sprawled on a hospital bed makes me back up a few steps from her and the strong mixture of liquid, trying to refrain from this habit but everything--lies and confession completely crashes down my face. 

With trembling hands, I take a slig from the bottle. The liquid slouches down my lips and slides down my throat; it burns like a sensation equivalent to boiling water pouring on one's skin. I wheeze, slapping my chest. Then an aftertaste of a zippy, lemony flavour fills my mouth thus sweetens its taste. I miss getting drunk. The last time I did so was during my first year of college after my father had died of depression. I was deeply hurt that he lied about not leaving again, when now he's forever gone.

Where do other people seek comfort?

I wipe my mouth with my numb thumb.

The dopamine sets in. A light-headed feeling from the alcohol creeps upon me. It's insanely euphoric.

My feets tap on their own, my hand soon joining them in the air,  like a puppet on a string. My body and hips move like an uncoiling rope, sways with the beats of the music and crowd.

I'm having the best moments of my life!

Amber, with glittering makeup the same as mine moulds her back to mine and we sway our hips, grinning like idiots. The beads of sweat slide my makeup down to my shoulder. It is probably already a mess because of the heat and more sweat pours out from every outlet of my body pores. The more steps I take, the more alcohol controls me and the happier I get.

It's like a shot of adrenaline to my heart.

Unexplainable

feeling

of

being

Free !!

Like I am flying! !

This is where I always belong,

Yolanda and the music

This is it!

Haven

..

.....

........

Suddenly, I stagger forward and one foot hits the other in a cross-like manner. I stumble over nothing. My scream get lost in the noise as I land with my ass on the floor.