Looming predators

The man's eyelids lifted. He squeezed his eyes back shut as the sun blinded his vision. A low groan left his still sleeping body.

He yawned and stretched before trying to open his eyes again.

The clouds had moved in front of the sun, shielding the forest scenery from the light.

His half lidded eyes caught a sight of two black orbs watching his sleeping form.

"Good morning." he rasped in his morning voice.

"Good morning." the answer was monotone as ever.

Mingi smiled at the male.

One thing he had achieved these past days was the frequency of the man's answers. They had gotten longer.

"Is it time to get up?"

"Yes, we have a little left to reach the border of Katolca."

Mingi groaned.

"How many days is a little?"

He thought he heard a chuckle but he was probably still half dreaming.

"Two."

Their journey neared its end.

The omega stood up, still stretching his limbs.

"I suggest you go clean yourself. We have some time to spare before continuing."

Mingi made his way away from their small camp.

After a short time he reached the river that was like a map.

It led the enemy to the capital and them to the enemy.

He was about to kneel down to wash his face when something came out of the woods from the other side of the river. The brown boar made its way closer to the water. Judging by the slight jolt the animal noticed his presence and changed its direction.

Mingi furrowed his eyebrows in confusion.

It looked like the animal glided forward, his legs not touching the ground. Like a ghost hovering inches above ground, the boar disappeared behind thick bushes.

The mage spun around on his heel.

"Yunho! Yunho!" he called, running back to the alpha.

Something was off, his omega wanted to run away desperately.

The man soon came into his view. Yunho turned around to see the mage rushing towards him.

"What's wrong?"

"I-"

Then a thought dawned on him. Mingi had rarely left the palace walls, spending his time between books and magic spells so what can he know about forest animals, especially one's not from his own country.

The male's stiff shoulders deflated like a balloon.

He didn't want to rush to the alpha as soon as something as little as a forest animal appeared before him, it would make him useless. Mingi was a scaredy cat but he refused to be a weakling.

"No, nothing."

Yunho's dark brow shot up in question.

"You ran in such panic to me for nothing?"

"Yeah...sorry."

The male watched with utter confusion as Mingi let out a nervous giggle.

"Alright...well..."

They both stood staring at each other for a while before Yunho thought of a reasonable response.

"Hurry and wash up, we will leave soon."