Family dinner

The carriage neared the open gates. Guards stood on both sides like stone statues with bowed heads.

Hongjoong's heart was about to leave through his mouth and he could almost feel his spirit vanishing in the air like smoke.

Seonghwa put his hand on the man's thigh.

"It will be alright, don't worry. Just don't let them look down on you." he said, cinnamon and blackberries accompanying his words.

"Easy for you to say." Hongjoong grumbled, making Seonghwa chuckle.

"I will not let them bully you."

The beta turned his head to see if the male's face was similar to his steel voice.

Park Seonghwa cast smiles his way but the looks he gave the mansion that grew bigger in size on the other side of the window were murderous.

Hongjoong relaxed a bit. Thoughts of how to leave a good impression on Seonghwa's parents running like wild horses in his head.

The carriage came to a stop. The alpha exited first and turned on his heel to offer Hongjoong a hand.

"I'm not exactly a lady who needs help every step of the way."

"Looking at your small frame makes me want to abandon all the ladies and rush to your aide like a knight. Though, I believe you would have talked the dragon's ears off before I got to the part where I slay it."

Hongjoong laughed, taking the hand offered to him and stepping on the ground.

A servant came to them.

"Welcome back home, young master. I'm glad to see you healthy."

"Thank you, Fenrir, but what brings you here?"

Hongjoong stared at Seonghwa's smile, which looked genuine. The Archduke took a glance at two carriages stopped near the entrance.

"We have guests." he stated.

"Yes, actually your grandparents have made a rather unplanned visit to the Archduchy."

"Are you sure that you can say that as their faithful servant?"

The man smiled, shaking his head softly.

"Fast to tease as always, prince."

"Prince?" Hongjoong raised one eyebrow, joining their conversation.

"Yes, his favorite nickname from childhood." the servant answered, turning to the shorter male.

"So that's where you got your cockiness from."

Seonghwa growled lowly, which sounded more like an offended hiss.

"I am Fenrir, head servant of sir and madam Park, the old Archduke couple." the man introduced himself with a respectful bow.

His old eyes looked friendly when they observed Hongjoong.

"Son of Duke Kim from Wonderland, Hongjoong. Nice to meet you."

"Ah, Wonderland you say." he smiled.

"He is the best singer there." Seonghwa added, making the beta furiously shake his head in denial.

"Don't talk nonsense. I'm well known but certainly not the best."

"Whatever lets you sleep at night..."

"May I go ahead and assume that he has not come here as your friend?"

The Archduke looked at the old man with a proudful glint in his eyes. His hand wrapped around Hongjoong's shoulder, leaning him closer to the man. Seonghwa kissed the crown of his head softly, not moving his gaze away from the man's watchful eyes.