3. ❀ (no more tatum riley to deal with)

IT'S BEEN YEARS, BUT TATUM CAN REMEMBER THE FEELING OF SIDNEY SLOWLY BRAIDING HER HAIR.  It was always such a meticulous process, with Sidney carefully sectioning Tatum's hair into small parts and gently pulling it tight to create the perfect braid. Tatum used to love it, the way Sidney would talk to her softly, asking about her day and making her feel special. But as she got older, she began to notice that when Sidney talked to her, she wasn't actually talking to her.

She was talking to the ghost of the dead Tatum Riley.

Every time Sidney visited, it was like a reminder of what had happened. Tatum knew that Sidney had lost so much, but it was hard not to feel like she was living in the shadow of a dead girl. It was like she could never escape the legacy of the Ghostface murders, no matter how hard she tried. And whenever Sidney mentioned the original Tatum, it felt like a knife twisting in her gut.

She wanted to be her own person, to live her own life, without the constant reminder of what had happened. She wanted to be more than just the replacement Tatum, the one that Sidney had taken under her wing out of obligation rather than genuine affection.

And yet, despite it all, Tatum still loved Sidney. She admired her strength and resilience, the way she had survived so much and come out the other side.

Part of her wants to hug her right now, let her know she's missed her a lot, but another part wants to scream at her to get the fuck out of Honeycomb, get the fuck away from Le Domas and shit, from California all together. 

Because this is hers. It's Tatum's, it's Riley Bloom's, and Sidney Prescott has the bad habit of bringing tragedy everywhere like it's a carry on bag. 

Tatum studies Sidney's face, searching for any hint of recognition. She sees none. It's been years since they last saw each other. Strangely enough, though, she can still smell the sweet scent of the hair oil Sidney used to apply before braiding.

Sidney's eyes sparkle as she takes in Tatum's appearance. "You look good, Tate. Not at all dead," she remarks.

"Before I left, I specifically left my mom a message saying, 'Hey, Tatum here. Not dead, promise,'" Tatum responds dryly.

Sidney shrugs. "You know how your mom is with conspiracy theories."

"It was literally a video message," Tatum protests.

Sidney chuckles. "She fell into a deepfake rabbit hole on Reddit."

Tatum rolls her eyes. "So you tracked me down for two years because of a shitty deepfake conspiracy theory? Holy shit, Sid. Maybe people on the internet are right and all Ghostface survivors are fucking mental now."

"You could've called her, Tatum. Over two years of no contact, of course she was going to lose it. That's what moms do," Sidney chides.

Tatum scoffs. "You left Woodsboro. You never looked back. You started a new life, with a new family, in a new place. Why can't I do that too?"