10. ❀ (the wicked shall not be unpunished)

ALL SINNERS MUST PAY.

Romans 6:23, For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Romans 3:23, For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.

John 1:9, If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

Proverbs 11:21, Though hand join in hand, the wicked shall not be unpunished: but the seed of the righteous shall be delivered.

What the actual fuck?

Tatum can feel her heart pounding in her chest. She can't believe that this is happening again. Another ghost from her past come to haunt her, or maybe it's just someone new, someone who wants to hurt her for reasons she can't comprehend.

"So, whoever's doing this wants to kill us to punish us for killing people? Is that it?" Tatum asks, her voice trembling.

"You did nothing wrong, baby girl," Gale argues, trying to comfort her. "Whatever you did, it was self-defense."

The woman stares at Ethan up and down, lips pursed, not even needing to say a word to reveal what she was thinking.

"Seriously, Gale? Is right now the best time to be pointing fingers? Tate was just attacked," Ethan says, his voice rising in frustration.

"She wouldn't have been if it weren't for you," Gale shoots back.

But before Ethan can respond, Tatum stops him, just adding softly, "I wouldn't be alive if it weren't for him, so back off, please. I don't want to argue with the only two people in this fucking town I trust right now."

Ethan pats her back softly, and Tatum feels a small measure of comfort. She knows that she can count on him to always have her back, no matter what.

But the thought of the killer out there, somewhere, watching them, waiting to strike again, makes her blood run cold.

How long can she keep running away from someone who never gives up?

"Brainstorming circle, right? How do we catch this motherfucker?" Ethan's voice booms in the small living room, filled with tension and unease.

Gale, ever the skeptic, mutters under her breath, "That depends, do you have any psycho Kirsch cousins?"

Ethan's eyes roll at her comment. "I do, in fact, but they live in Canada, so fuck off. What about the handwriting on the note?"

Gale lets out an exasperated huff. "Do you intend on asking everyone in this town to write you a handwritten note?"

"No, Gale, but at least we can rule some people out, the ones we're closest to." Ethan counters.