White Knuckles, Flared Nostrils

Word Count: 4,680

Song: Face Down

-

Louis POV

I laughed at the little text that popped up on my screen. Normally, I wouldn’t flash teeth during the day unless I was growling or snarling. There’s no harm done when there’s no one around to witness it right?

My legs were crossed, my feet neatly tucked underneath my thighs for the warmth that they greedily accepted. I had been outside earlier mowing the lawn. The grass had become beaded with water after the short showers, much to the contraire of my warm haven known as my room. The shattered glass still lay near my bed. When my father had trudged into my room, with unsure stepping and ankles bending underneath his weight, to order a list of chores, he had thrown his beer bottle in a demeanor to prove his seriousness. To be honest, he did a lot of things that he thought made him superior.

All of it really did was make him run across as foolish. But who am I to step in and say something about it? I’d still like to have at least one usable arm thank you very much. Speaking of which, the colored cast made it near to impossible to work that damned mower without dropping the handles every now and then. My arm was really itchy too. I attempted to stick a fork underneath to scratch an aggravated patch of skin, but only ended up creating three deep gashes when the fork got stuck and had to be dragged out while pressed into my skin.

Now how am I going to explain that to Harry? Simple. I won’t. Not like he needs to know anything, it’s none of his business anyways what I do while he’s not around.

His text read out, ‘I’m on my way to mum’s, if you need anything, just head to the apartment. The other boys are there; don’t try and move while I’m gone Stripes, I’ll find you! X’

I hadn’t decided yet if his intentions were classified as ignorable, or down right annoying. So far I had been able to go without punching him just by bypassing his cheeky jokes and cheesy puns by just making up smart remarks. Sometimes I would see a pang in his eyes, a sort of offence, but it always was relinquished immediately once an idea came up in that little brain of his. I refused to admit that his annoyance was growing on me.

Because really, it wasn’t. I promise. I have too many problems at the moment to even think about making a friend, and having to worry about another human being. That’s why I never went for that whole ‘friendship’ thing. There were too many things to worry about. I was never the type to comfort. Not once had I placed a soothing hand on someone else’s back, nor have I whispered sweet nothings to calm down a panicked figure. I wasn’t that type of person, and so the thought of having to be depended on scared me half to death.

But Harry… he seemed different. I don’t depend on him; at least I like to think that I don’t. However he always finds my need for his help in every word, every syllable, and every letter. His mind works incredibly fast, comparable to mine. He brings up details in things that I do that I didn’t even realize. The first time we actually did something together, he caught me darting my tongue out at a chocolate chip, almost like a kitten. His laughter told me that I had done something that I probably shouldn’t have.

A rough knock rasped against the door, the doorknob rattling furiously. Out of surprise, I jumped and my phone was dropped onto the bed sheets, bouncing only once. The emotion that I always felt when I knew my father was merely feet away from me arose immediately; fear. I came across as a cold-hearted bastard to everyone else, but underneath my skin was pure fear. Everything terrorized me; I just refused to believe it. I would never in a million years purposely flaunt my vulnerability. I was ashamed of it, and until I could actually look into another human being’s eyes, I would always be.