Sneaking Away

Marinette

"Are you insane?"

Marinette stood looking down at the fire escape, Adrien already scurrying down like a cheap imitation Spider-Man.

"Oh, come on, Marinette! Live a little."

"I've seen the drop Agreste, and if I want to 'live a little' I need to stay on solid ground."

The laughter coming from him carried itself through the night sky with only the angry sounds of car horns battling against it.

"Marinette, I swear it's safe."

"So is the elevator!" she stated, rolling her eyes before swinging a leg over the bar and making her way onto the steel frame.

"That's a girl!" Adrien cheered, continuing his descent down the scaffolded object.

Tentatively edging down the ladder, Marinette was fully aware one look up and Adrien would be eye to eye with her ass. Every now and then she couldn't help but clench, making sure it looked its finest.

"So where are we sneaking off to?" Marinette whispered, walking across the metal grid and onto the next set of ladders.

"Just trust me, okay? It'll be worth it."

That's all he'd told her; that where they were going was amazing and would be worth it. He'd made her leave the sketch pad in his room, promising it would be safe before ushering her out of the window.

She felt like a teenager sneaking out the house again, yet this time it had nothing to do with superhero business.

Finally reaching the last ladder, she noticed there was a drop to the ground; one high enough that she wasn't entirely sure she'd come off unscathed.

"I'll catch you," Adrien whispered-shouted up to her; until this moment she didn't know such a sound could be made. She looked towards him and noticed his hands cupped around his mouth.

"No you won't!" she huffed back, looping an arm around the metal bar and twisting her body out, away from the ladder; each arm hooking backwards and keeping her secure.

"Marinette, please, I'm not going to drop you."

Every part of her wanted to scream at him, to tell him she'd trust a hungry lion more... However, that was before her life changing kiss and conversation with him. Pursing her lips, she wiggled her nose as she considered her options. She could either stay up here for the rest of her life, or take the plunge and jump, praying that Adrien's muscles were actually from good old fashioned bicep workouts, not just good genetics.

The look on his face was adorable and Marinette was on the verge of combining this colossal fear of heights with full blown laughter, only for the feeling to increase as he motioned his hands towards her in the most adorable way. She was tethering on the verge of tears.

"Okay, but on my count."

Adrien nodded, looked out to the street and then motioned with his hands again. He wasn't saying it but she could tell he thought they were about to be caught. Her own eyes scaling the area too.

When Adrien had told her about ditching the gala, it didn't matter how much he thought he'd get away with it, she knew differently. Gabriel Agreste would not take this lightly. Instead, after 12 ignored calls and a banging on his hotel room door, the fire escape had been the only option, Adrien manhandling her out before starting his great escape.

"Ready, steady, jump, or 1, 2, 3?" Adrien questioned, his arms still out ready to grab her.

"What?"

"Well you said on your count?"