ᴛʜɪʀᴛʏ-ᴛᴡᴏ

THE FEZ WAS A LOW-LIT,

low-ceiling small nightclub in lower Manhattan, it was nearing midnight when Jeff began playing, Polly sat over at the bar, and turned in her chair to watch, too tired to stand and dance by the stage. She did her best to make it to every show, help him with the handmade posters he stuck up in random shops and poles.

A couple songs in, Polly started feeling lightheaded. It wasn't anything terrible, just enough to keep her attention from
being fully on Jeff. If not for the barstool she sat on, she was sure her legs would be wobbly too. She wasn't sure if it was because of the loud music, or the drink in her hand, but she did her best to ignore the feeling.

Soon though, she made her way to the bathroom as her stomach began to ache. She leaned against the wall, running through all the possibility's of why it felt like she was about to be kneeling over the toilet.

Oh no, she thought, the most obvious conclusion passing into her mind. She felt her heart race at the thought of being pregnant. No, no, no.

She decided instead of going back to her spot at the bar and stressing over that possibility all night long, she'd find a drug store and buy a test.

From his spot on the small stage, Jeff could see a woman rush out of the club, not realizing it was Polly until he saw she was nowhere else in the crowd.

She bought three tests, clutching them tightly in her hand as she walked back to the Fez. She took the first, placing it on the sink as she sat with her head in her hands, counting down the three minutes with her eyes glued to her watch.

After the last minute ended, she waited a few more seconds not fully sure if she wanted to know what the test would read. But she made herself get up.

The test had two lines, the second quickly boldening. She started down at the test, her heart rate increasing quickly. She didn't know what to think when she looked at it, the plastic slightly trembling in her shaky hands.

Polly reminded herself that those things weren't always accurate, and she had two other tests to take. So, she put the tests back into her purse and made her way back into the club, waving slightly to Jeff as she tried to put on a smile despite the million questions and worries running through her mind.

The last hour or so of his set seemed to drag on for ages as she just wanted to return home and take the other tests, still not knowing what she thought about the two little pink lines she'd saw in the bathroom.

She did her best to enjoy the music, not be too distracted, but of course that didn't work.
The lines were all she thought of.

When Jeff finished his last song and came up to Polly, he could tell that there was something off with her, but didn't mention anything until they had begun their walk home.

"What'd you think?" He asked first, not wanting to accuse her of acting strangely immediately.

"It was great, like always." She responded, though her words seemed strained.

Jeff put his arm around her as they walked, her body stiff. "What is it?"

She looked surprised. "Huh?"

"Why are you so weird?" He asked, laughing slightly though concerned.

"I'm fine." Polly told him quickly.