ꜱᴇᴠᴇɴᴛᴇᴇɴ

MARCH 30TH, 1991
NEW YORK CITY.ೃ࿐

JEFF HAD BEEN IN THE CITY FOR TWO DAYS.
All he had wanted was to be back in his old place, become a patron in his favorite bars once more. Instead, he sat in a pew in the back of the St. Ann's Cathedral. About to rehearse for a memorial concert. For his father.

He would be the last act, the spoken up Tim's son- which had become his name throughout the one hour he sat in the church.

Soon his name would be called to grab the borrowed guitar and work his way through the four songs. Jeff didn't believe he sounded like his father, and didn't know exactly why he found himself where he was.

He didn't know the man, he couldn't give a eulogy-type speech about his legacy or the selflessness Tim Buckleys soul once possessed. Because Jeff didn't know him. He didn't know him at all.

Yet he still agreed to perform, humoring the concert organizer. He knew the sole reason he was there was to tug on the heartstrings of the concert goers, they would get to see the orphaned son, all grown up and by some miracle possessing the same talents his father once did.

He walked his way down the isle, bounding up the few steps to where he sat on a stool in the middle of the small stage. A woman called out to him, breaking Jeff from his inner dialogue.

"You can say a few things about your dad, Jeff."

Dad, Jeff repeated in his mind, knowing he barely had came close to that.

"I cant think of anything," he spoke quietly, starting to play the first few chords of 'I never asked to be your mountain.'

Every person in the cathedral were in awe of the man before them, his voice keeping their ears and eyes trained on him.

They stared to the stage, having heard of Jeff's talent, but the real thing unfolding right in front of their eyes was different. He was something special.

Polly stood near the large double doors of the church, head craning to observe the stained glass, raindrops sliding down the panes.

She pulled the brown leather jacket closer around her body as Jeff finished his first song, playing the next immediately to spare conversation.

She knew somehow he hadn't seen her yet, and wished to keep it that way as she listened, hoping at the end she could sneak out and postpone their reunion another day.

But as the second song finished, Polly had sat in a pew, slouching in the seat and arms crossed to warm herself.

Jeff noticed her, choosing to smile rather than stare, getting a small grin back as he handed his balanced the guitar on the stool and proclaimed he needed a 'break.'

She stood, smoothing the wrinkles in her skirt, as Jeff walked over.

He stood awkwardly in front of her, "wanna go outside for a second?"

She nodded and he led her into the courtyard.

"It's raining."

"Come on," he held her hand, pulling her towards a stone bench alongside a willow. "Sit." He gestured to the spot beside him.

"I haven't seen you in-"