ᴛʜɪʀᴛᴇᴇɴ

AUGUST 22nd, 1990
NYC .ೃ࿐

Polly hung up her pictures to dry, watching the images upon them become clearer.

She realized she was smiling when her eyes crossed over the ones of Jeff and herself and thought of how surprised the person she was months ago would be to know she was in a relationship- one she actually cared about and wanted to be in.

It's funny how one person can change everything she once thought about herself.

She could hear him playing guitar and singing, a sound she'd never get bored of no matter how much it echoed through her apartment.

Polly shut the door softly and walked down the short hall to her bedroom, where Jeff sat, too focused on his song to realize she had appeared.

Only when she sat next to him did he notice her presence, uttering a soft hello as he continued playing and Polly laid back, closing her eyes and listening intently.

She let the music calm her racing thoughts, feeling her body relax with each word he sang.

Polly knew he'd do something more with his talents, and that was already starting with his future cassette.

It was scary though- one day she'd have to be alone for even longer, while Jeff would be on his tours or recording the numerous albums he deserved to have. One day he'd forget all about her- she wouldn't fit into the life she was sure he would have.

But that hadn't happened yet, now the couple had all the time they wanted- or at least until Jeff returned from California sometime within the next few months.

Be happy for him, Polly told herself.

Although she couldn't ever truly be, there would always be a small part of her that wished nothing more to keep him right next to herself, only a short walk away.

But that wasn't reality, not at all.

His playing had stopped, although Polly had not noticed with her spiraling thoughts. Jeff laid back next to her, turning on his side to face her.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing," she forced a soft smile.

"I know you, something's wrong."

Polly turned on her side, yet averted his gaze. "You know what's wrong."

Jeff didn't reply, knowing no amount of an apology would make her feel better. He didn't know exactly why Polly cared so much as she insisted she did about him, he had never thought himself to be a very good boyfriend.

But he reminded himself of the words she had spoken mere days ago.

She loved him, and he loved her.

༻✦༺

Polly's mind was hazy and her body felt heavy with all the drinks she had as she walked across the bar with her arm around Brooke's shoulder.

Brooke was almost as drunk as Polly, and that could never be a good thing.

Jeff laughed when he saw the pair walking over, almost dropping his banquet as Polly hugged him tightly.