Oh, How Wrong I Was

Comincia dall'inizio

He only shrugs.
"Mm hhm hrmrmh" (I do this all the time)

I raise my brows at him as I understand what he's talking about. He pulls all nighters 'all the time'? Why the hell would he do that?

"How?" I ask, like it's impossible because, it is.

He doesn't answer me, just looking away instead. Facing forward as I step out into the street.

I should have known right there and then.

As soon as my foot makes contact with the ground, it's almost like the world stopped moving. Like it stopped spinning entirely as I hear it, before I see it. The devastating screech of a car, who didn't see the light turn red.
My body freezes as the world continues, impossibly slow, the thoughts in my brain fly out through my ears and into the air as I turn my head slowly to the right. I see it, and it sees me. The car, the driver, the person that's about hit me dead on. My body won't move. It's shouting at me to, screaming and burning as my heart sinks into my stomach and incinerates in the acid. I can't tear my eyes off the speeding vehicle for even a second and is gets closer, and closer, closer. Until there are no thoughts in my head at all. No screaming, no burning, and nothing to save me. Until there is.

Everything flashes white and heavy in my head. The whole ordeal took place in mer seconds, while to me, it's been hours, years, centuries of coming to terms with me and the speeding car.
Suddenly the world comes back to me, hard— heavy—and in full color. Though, the only one I see is red. Blood red. Dark and ugly. Terrifying and completely unwavering as it takes me, careless and unmerciful. I don't know if there's a god, I don't know if anyone can hear me, but I no longer feel the need to ask for help.

—And then I'm on the floor.
Face first into the rough tarmac. Bleeding from my eyebrow and a burning spreading through my cheek, hands, and knees. In this moment, I know my ankle is broken as it snaps in half on the pavement. Pins and needles stab through my skin, and muscle as I feel the impossible heat rising from my whole leg. My throat, on fire and scratchy as I realize I've been screaming. I gasp as I slowly put my hands to the ground, ignoring the road burn and blood as rocks cut into my already open wounds. Harshly and slow  I push myself up. My eyes snap to the other side of the road ahead of me, and that's when it hits me.

I didn't get hit.

My ears ring as I look down my body, noticing the scuff marks and blood dripping from my head and elbows down to my clothes. Fresh holes and rips in them at the contact with the floor.

As soon as the ringing is gone, my brain cuts into overdrive. Compensating for the lack of movement going on in there the world screams bloody murder back at me. My head immediately starts to pound and I hold it and slowly turn around. My shoulders are burning, from someone's touch has been left on my skin signaling me to turn, the fuck, around.

That's the thing I regret the most.

I should have just sat there, on the ground forever. Never having to turn around and see him.

Once again my body freezes and bloody redness clouds my vision.

Kenny is laying on the ground, completely still and lifeless. I choke on my own sobs and breaths as I freeze. Slowly pulling myself over, crawling and clawing to his body.
I no longer feel the pain I was enduring, I no longer feel anything as I silently begin begging for him to still be alive. Maybe someone, anyone, anything at all will hear my prayers.

No—no, no. No.

I pull myself over finally, after what feels like an entirely of burning and screaming that I realize I've been doing out loud this whole time. Not so secretly praying. And not so quietly sobbing.