"New Girl..."

I realize the boy smiling brightly at me is the same one I saw in the window. I immediately feel awkward, I hope he doesn't think I was watching him. He's wearing that same green hat, that's what gives him away. He has red hair like his mom, but its curly and I wonder why he hides it with his hat. He's wearing an orange jacket too. He looks nice, I feel underdressed.

"Hi Kyle, this is my daughter". My mom looks at me with her hand on my shoulder and I realize I haven't said anything yet.

"Hello, it's nice to meet you". I muster the best smile I can at the moment, but I have a feeling it doesn't reach my eyes as he stares at me.

"Why don't you kids go play." His mom tells us, and he rolls his eyes.

"I'm 17 mom, we don't play". He laughs. I like his laugh.

"Sometimes I forget how fast they grow up". She looks to my mom and wipes a fake tear from her face.

My mother laughs as she takes her hand away from me walking into the kitchen with her new friend. I hear something about how her husband will be back soon and I realize he probably has both his parents. I watch them leave the room feeling abandoned.

What am I supposed to say to this kid.

He looks back at me and I look at the floor.

"They became friends quickly". He states, watching me.

My mom didn't want to meet the neighbors, she wanted me to. She wants me to make friends.

"I guess so, I think this is some sort of set up". I laughed.

"Agreed".

A weird silence falls on us and I feel his eyes burning holes into my skull.

"Wanna see my room?"                                                                        
                  ____________________

His room is built the same as mine, maybe a little bigger. I don't know this kid, but I assume it suits him. It's very organized and I see a stack of textbooks on his desk. Along with personal books by his bed. His desk is set up facing away from the window and his bed looks to be in the same place as mine. I wonder if he likes stars. As I'm looking around I notice my window across the street. You can see my whole room from here and my face heats up a little. He notices and shuts the curtains with a shy smile.

"I like it". I say. "Your room, I mean". I scratch the back of my neck.

He has so many things, posters and books.

I need to go shopping.

"Thanks, I've lived her my whole life actually".

I look at him shocked. I feel something when he says that. Jealousy? He knows everyone, everything. His whole life is here. While mine is still in moving boxes.

"You're lucky". I tell him, but it comes out a little sadder then I intended it to. "You must know everyone".

"Pretty much". He laughs. "Unfortunately".

I raise my brow at him. But he doesn't go on.

"If you want, I can show you around. The towns pretty small so there's not much to see".

"Really"? I ask him, sounding a little to desperate. I clear my throat.

He laughs again. I decide I want to hear that more. I like his smile, and I wonder what mine looks like.