Pancakes

Walking into the kitchen I see my mom looking at the fridge frowning. My stomach rumbles giving me away. She turns to look at me and smiles.

"I guess we'll have to go shopping". She says.

I sigh but return her smile anyway.

I fucking hate grocery shopping

"Sure, I'll go with you".

"You don't need to hun, you hate shopping".

I look away.

She walks closer to me and forces our eyes to meet with her head.

"I know your upset but- ", I cut her off—

"I'm not upset".

She sighs.

"I'm proud of you love".

I widen my eyes.

"Why- "?

"It's not easy to do what we're doing, leaving, starting over."

Giving up.

"But I'm proud of you for trying with me, you've been a good sport". She laughs "Who knows", she continues, "maybe you'll have fun here".

Highly fucking doubt that.

I smile at her.

"I'm sure we will mom".
       ___________________________

My mom ended up going shopping anyway. She said she would be back before it gets to dark, but I wasn't worried. I wanted be alone anyways.
I walk up the stairs to my room to finish unpacking but as soon as I sit down the last 4 days hit me hard. I look out the window at the disappearing sun. It not the end of the world. It's just the end of mine, I think. I don't want to be bitter, I don't want to be sad. I want to be optimistic like my mom, but I'm not. I'm frustrated and tired, and it's cold.
I'll sleep it off.

I wake up the next morning to the sun in my face.

Fuck

I slept awful. This isn't my room. I tossed and turned all night, and now I feel more drained then I did when I went to bed. I decide to get up anyway. I walk down stairs yawning, still in my grey sweatshirt I slept in. My moms in the kitchen again and I immediately smell pancakes.

"Mom"?

She turns around to look at me.

"Oh, good morning sleepy head, great timing- I made breakfast".

She sets down my plate in front of me. Fluffy pancakes with a side of strawberries. I smile at the food suddenly starving.

"What's the occasion?" I joke.

She only makes pancakes for breakfast when she thinks I'm upset with her. Actually, I hardly eat breakfast, it just not my favorite.

She fixes her plate and sits down in front of me.
"New beginnings." Is all she says as she begins to eat.

Sure mom.

As I finish I put my plate in the sink.

"Any plans for today"? She asks me.

I raise my eyebrow at her.

"Should I have one?" I inquire back.

"Well, I was thinking maybe we could meet some of the neighbors— you know— explore the town."

Anything to get out of this house.

"Sure. I'll go get ready." I shrug.

She hums back at me as I walk up the stairs.

"Dress warm!" I hear her yell.

As I get into my room I close the door and look out the window, sighing. Does it ever not snow here?
I decided on a different hoodie a couple sizes bigger then it should be for comfort, some dark jeans and my favorite shoes. I look in the mirror at my hair.

Nope

I throw my hair into a low, messy bun. And put on a dark Beanie on top that matches the colors I'm already wearing.
For makeup I put some concealer on to hide the dark bags under my eyes, it doesn't help much. I look dead— Shit, I feel dead. But the world doesn't need to know that. I throw on some mascara and fill in my eyebrows a little. It's not much, but I feel pretty.
I grab my backpack and head downstairs.

My mom is already waiting for me by the door. So I tell her I'm ready and we go outside. I'm immediately hit in the face by the weather and I shiver. My breath making clouds in the air in front of my face. I'm already irritated. My mom smiles at me as she heads across the street.

Im nervous, why am I nervous? 
There just people.

My mother knocks on the door and we wait.
Seconds later a woman answers the door, her red hair tied in a big up-due style stands out to me first. But it's her voice that hits me second.

"Ah! There you are! Hello", she looks over at me, "you must be the daughter". She says loudly. Boston accent loud and proud.

I'm stunned by this interaction why is she speaking as if she knows me?

My mom turns to me and I look at her confused.

"This is Mrs. Broflovski, hun. We meet at the store
last night". She laughs.

Oh..

I turn back to the woman and smile.

"Hello, it's nice to me you".

"Yes, your mother told me you moved in yesterday! I told her to stop by so we could meet- oh, that reminds me"- she turns around facing the inside of her house- "Kyle!" She yells. "Please come in, come in, it's cold out there!"

I'm very relieved when I enter the house and feel the heat is on. I look around some, they have a nice house it's built like ours. It's definitely not new, but I like the lived in look. Like a real house, where a real family lives.

"Mom?" I hear a voice say from the stairs.

"Kyle, these are our new neighbors, they just moved in yesterday! Come say hi."

He walks up to us and smiles at me.
"I'm Kyle".