02 - Your Legacy Is Royalty

As early as the sun soared above the sea, the once darkness of the deep below would soon shift into light and colour. Sea creatures of all kinds would come out after dark, even if some were nocturnal it didn't stop them from sleeping at any time. This was the same for Sirens, who were both night and day hunters. Sirens were known as dangerous by their merkind counterparts, only due to their alliance with the two legged animals named humans. Those who were apparently once like merkind and sirens, before deciding one day that they wanted to walk above the surface rather than live in the endless abyss of waters.

That's all that the young Prince, America knew.

Humans were dangerous, according to his parents. They had a bad reputation amongst sirens as being killers, taking siren blood to use it to cure their own kind, to eat siren body parts or hurt sirens just for pure amusement. Though, they wouldn't do that to their beloved merkind. Would they now? No. Those snobby creatures were seen as graceful. Sirens never got a chance due to their Songs being seen as manipulative. But it was all wrong. Siren Songs were about everything. Everything and anything. The song of a newborn siren. The song of a mating between sirens. The song of losing a beloved. The song of how beautiful the sea was. The song of warnings. There were songs about everything. Everything was translated through the Siren's language of Song, and it was beautiful for those who could hear it in the depths of the sea.

The one song that had truly rocketed the Sirens was The Song of the Prince, when America had been born long ago underneath a full moon. It was a sign of the most purest luck to be born on a full moon. The Prince was their grace, he was beautiful, as beautiful as his scales that glowed from a white to a tinted cherry red, to a luminous royal blue with white sparkles scattered around his tail, gills and webbed hands. His skin was soft, his hair was curled, and his voice sounded so enchanted when he sang songs to his people.

Yet this morning was not to waste. The young Prince was finally 26 full moons of age, which meant the god of the sea would grant him his ability to shapeshift into a human. Only royals were able to receive such an opportunity, as it allowed them to explore the home of the two-legged kind, and bring back strange gifts that they had found, or funny little human traditions. Though, with their gift, the royals could also shift friends and followers into humans to, to protect them in the world of the above. The sirens always knew things about humans. It was their duty to ensure that they could keep themselves safe from such a species.

America had dressed himself up in golds, sapphires, rubies, every gem he could find which would enhance his gorgeousness. The royal admired himself from a large sharp piece of what his mother had called "mee-roar". A human creation so the species could stare at itself. Just like the merfolk did in the reflection of water. Self absorbed species. Sirens already knew they were perfect, but they didn't need to stare at themselves everyday.

"Wow.."

A gasp came from the Prince, who spun around to see one of his favourite cousins, Australia, behind him. The surprised look on the other siren's face made him blush, and he avoided eye contact.

"You are supposed to be waiting for me at the Kerlo Altar of Corals! It is improper of you to gawk at your future King."

"Oh, my apologies, Your Highness. Your Dad asked me to tell you to hurry up. The sun is almost in place with the opening to shine upon you and give you your shifting ability."

Australia rested against the door, his own dark blue coloured tail flickering back and forth as America turned to the mirror, only to look at his cousin and seem surprised.

"Oh, my dear, I'm late? You could've just said that instead of teasing me. No, no, I can't be late. I can't let myself be known as America the Slow King, or-or America the Late King, it'll make my reputation bad with our kind!"