The women had to leave their building and cross the street, but there was not much traffic on this end. Looking at their building, I wondered where my mom must have stayed when she attended this university. It was unfortunate that my father never went, but he never trusted this system and did not see the use of it. He also was not a Pariah and would not have been accepted in his time.

"She is beautiful."

I turned to see my friend from earlier, Carlos Techni, close by me.

"Who is beautiful?" I asked, although I already knew the answer.

Carlos grinned, and gave me a knowing wink that made me blush. If I had less melanin, my skin may have turned red.

"You know who I am talking about, Jared," Carlos replied.

"Everyone knows who he is talking about. How did you get into this university?", the hovering machine spoke up from inside my school bag.

"Shut up, 4536. How did you get into my school bag anyways?" I said sternly.

"If you must know, we are assigned to students to follow them anywhere they go while within this city."

"I have one too, but he doesn't talk that much," Carlos said.

"You want to exchange, hermano? I think this one's circuits are fried," I said playfully.

"I will take that as an insult, sir." 4536 spoke up again. "I am not at all fried, nor roasted or baked. We are created. I am the first of my kind, sir. I am not completely connected to the system as you, my weak human, are not a Pariah and clearly do not understand simple concepts."

"So they gave me the most annoying machine then. Great!" I shouted and then kept silent when I noticed the other students staring at me.

"Yes Jared. And being first of my kind, as well as superior, much like every other inhabitant is superior to you; you should learn some manners and respect those who are better than you".

"I just wish I had my weapon, the Guandao, with me so that I could show you some respect," I spat.

"I would gladly take on the challenge at any time, sir. You would find my skills well suited to your training needs seeing that your father is a street fighter."

"Wait...How did you know that?" I whispered as I tried to grab on to my machine but it flew just out of arms reach. I looked around and noticed Carlos had already left. He was walking proudly beside Shaki into the building.

"As I am not completely connected to this university, I have found other information from primitive resources on my travels. I have chosen not to share this information with superiors, but it is interesting what you may find out in this world. A few may know about your father but not enough that it should put your life in danger."

"So, wait. How is this possible? Are you not part of this system and created by whatever created these other machines?" I said, confused.

"Yes and no. But this is not the time to explain. Also, I do not think you are wise enough to understand. And to be honest, I do not remember much about my past other than the last 5 years or so."

"I hope you rust, you bucket of bolts," I replied in anger.

"Actually, I am made of material that does not rust. I am not surprised that you did not notice as you appear not to be observant of things around you, human."

"You really sound ignorant," I mumbled.

I turned my focus towards the entrance of the next building. They were bright, yellow arrows projected on the walls with numbers directing students to each class. At times it was difficult to notice the directions as there were so many students pushing to get to their classes on time. I knew I could not be late as I was the first presenter for the day.