Chapter V/1 - The regenerating process

Saki was awake. She received a message from Aleister:

- Good morning, Saki! I hope you were able to sleep longer than before. About your therapy, I am still organizing the topics. It will improve your overall social skills and help you renew your reliance on yourself and others. I will also help you rebuild your self-esteem and fortify your will to live. It would honor me to show you our facility and an overall view of our town today if you would like to. Also, we will burn everything related to your torment according to our traditions to free you from the shackles of your past. You need not rush yourself, for you may take your time. I am ready when you are.

- Hi. I'll do my hair and come out shortly after. I'm looking forward to all that. Also..., I won't blame you for my daughter's death, Aleister. They killed her, not you. Even I might have acted against her. About that, along with some of my past..., and those two psychopaths..., I'm unable to speak for now. You all know why. - Saki replied. She tried to hold her tears back.

- Thank you, Saki. I know it is way too painful for you. Same here. I would never force this onto you. Remember, we are a call away in case you need anything.

- Thanks.

- Anytime.

After she put away her multifunctional transceiver, she started reminiscing.

- "All that happened yesterday... It wasn't a dream... It was all real. My eyes and throat are all sore. My voice is creaky, too... At least I had less severe nightmares in my sleep..., even if only by a bit... I could sleep longer for the first time... I only woke up three times now..., instead of six or more... Maybe because of that chat with them... They also wanted to become my very first friends... and so they did. And I wanted to ditch them all..." ...?

A drone entered Saki's ward, causing her interruption. It delivered her breakfast. Saki went to her desk and opened the container. She found her favorite food inside: omelet rice with some red bean paste and chocolate on the sides. She looked at it as if she was still unworthy of such treatment, bursting into tears. After she closed the container and pushed it away from herself, she started sobbing silently at her desk.

- Good morning...? What's wrong? - Emma appeared and immediately noticed Saki quietly crying.

- It's... <sniff> It's my favorite... Why would anyone...? I-I don't deserve it... - Saki moaned. She was crying, but it was significantly less intense than how she wailed yesterday.

- Oh... Well..., Al made it himself. He wants to care about you and cheer you up a little since you said sweet foods are your favorite meals..., if I remember correctly. And it's not about worthiness, alright?

- "Something's wrong with her..."

- Look, I know it's a slight consolation about everything that had happened to you out there..., but... ugh... Saki, I'm so sorry-?

Saki suddenly hugged Emma, whose voice resembled more and more of a child about to cry.

- "I don't want to see her suffering again... It was too painful to look at her... Sitting in a corner, as I did... Am I doing this right?" I know... Me, too.

- You did nothing wrong with me-

- I yelled at you!

- It wasn't your fault. I only wanted to help you feel better-

- You did.

- ...?

After they could ease up,

- "Now that I think about it... Without her being present all the time, I would've gone either catatonic or insane." I shouldn't have been that dismissive toward you. I had to grow up as a lone child..., yet I always wanted a sister like you.