vi

vi. killer sheep

the saddle-shaped island had forested hills and white beaches and green meadows. it made francis wonder why a beautiful island was the home to such a wicked creature until she remembered circe's island.

"there is so much power here." francis said, breathing in the fresh air and pointing in the direction where the power was strongest. "the fleece must be that way."

"how can you be so sure?"

"she's a sorceress, percy. they can feel that type of stuff." annabeth answered instead, rolling her eyes. it seemed like the thought of being closer to saving her friend and getting the fleece lifted her spirits.

"so, if we take it away. will the island die?" percy asked.

"all the magic will fade away, and it will looked exactly how it was before the fleece was brought here." francis told him. "it was probably a disgusting land, considering who lives here."

"are you always like that?" percy turned and looked at her directly, a weird look on his face.

"like what?" francis questioned offended. "why are you like that? asking so much questions." the last bit was unnecessary, she knew, but he literally spoke to her like that for no reason.

"what's wrong with asking too much questions?"

"what's wrong with how i'am?"

"stop it." annabeth told both of them. "we can't be fighting ourselves right now."

"yeah, you're right." francis nodded. "let me save my energy for the big threat."

"what—"

"percy." annabeth warned and the boy immediately shut his mouth annoyed.

francis saw how in the meadow at the base of the ravine, several dozen sheep were milling around. they looked peaceful enough, but they were huge—the size of hippos. just past them was a path that led up into the hills. at the top of the path, near the edge of the canyon, was a massive oak tree. something gold glittered in its branch, she had never felt so much power radiating from something.

"this is too easy," percy, captain obvious, said. "we could just hike up there and take it?"

annabeth's eyes narrowed. "there's supposed to be a guardian. a dragon or...?"

"killer sheep who are immune to magic?" francis offered. "circe had some guarding the northern part of the island since it was the most dangerous zone. she used to sell them just like the guinea pigs, one of the reasons why i never suspected anything. do you think they are also men?" the question was more to herself.