37 - Medical emergency

Start from the beginning

But Ella doesn't feel that way. She lost friends too, but she made new ones. She was already close with Enid and when Carl joined us, they became an unbreakable trio. That is, until they did get broken up. Carl's at Alexandria, Enid's at the Hilltop and Ella's here. I know how much she misses them.

'I know', I say, pulling her in for a hug. 'I'm sure... everything will be okay.'

Actually, I'm not so sure. I think chances of getting out of here have just gotten even slimmer, because with everything going on, Negan's bound to be on high alert. Besides, I'm not so sure that right now would be the right time to leave. Even if we manage to make it to Alexandria or even one of the other communities, if there's really going to be a war, I don't want to get caught in the crossfire. Though it makes me feel like a bit of a traitor to even think it, the Sanctuary might just be the safest place to be.

'I could ask Negan about Carl', I say, grasping at straws to offer her something. I was afraid to ask yesterday, but it feels like a decade went by since the moment I stepped into his room, fearing his anger, to the moment I woke up in his arms this morning. After everything, he shouldn't get mad if I ask him about this one person for Ella, should he?

'No', she says adamantly, pulling back to show the fierce intent in her eyes. 'Don't seek him out if you don't have to. It's not like we could do anything about it if Carl isn't okay, anyway.'

'Alright', I say uncomfortably. I really don't know what she'd do if she found out about my plans for tonight. Let's hope that she doesn't. I'm going to have to come up with a real good excuse to leave tonight.

Leave your distraught sister alone so you can have some fun with the man that caused all that distress in the first place? You really are the sister of the year.

I try to push down the sense of guilt that's creeping into my veins. If it builds up too much throughout the day, I might never make it to his room tonight.

'Look, I know things are messed up right now', I tell her. 'But there's nothing we can do. Just stick to the plan, okay? We do our jobs, keep our heads low and get Negan to trust us. And when we get our chance, we get out of here.'

Even though I'm starting to lose faith in our plan, that was rocky to begin with, I have to keep Ella believing in it, because I don't know what else to do.

'Go take a shower, okay? We'll go have some breakfast.'

---

The day passes quickly again. There aren't any critical patients anymore. Sadly, due to our limiting resources, some didn't make it. But others pulled through and are no longer in any mortal danger. That doesn't mean that there's not a lot to do, though. Myeong, Jake and I spend the day changing bandages, applying fluids, treating fevers, feeding patients, and God knows what else. The day flies by. Even if one of our little team is missing.

There was no guard in front of our door this morning. No-one to escort Ella to her job and no-one to walk me to mine. But most notably, Cal was nowhere to be seen.

In the time I've been here, he grew from just a guard to more of a medical assistant. He doesn't actually perform any actions on the patients, but he makes sure I've got everything I need, makes sure I've got the right people... He's been taking care of all the practical stuff.

More than that, he became a friend. So when I finally got the news I've been wanting to get from the start, I just couldn't be happy about it.

I got the news from a scrawny, nervous guy who can't be much more than a teenager.

'Hello. Christina? I'm here to assist you', he introduced himself.

I was in the middle of going through patient updates with Myeong, so I looked up a little annoyed. Making him even more nervous.