Chapter 8: A business consideration

The buzz and familiarity of LAX filled my jetlagged brain as Cate and I deplaned from our flight from London, her words from last night still engraved on my mind. At baggage claim, I stole covert glances at her, in sunglasses again and unreadable as usual when she was in public. A vague sense of dread always hung between us when we appeared in public in broad daylight. So far, no one has noticed her. It wasn't what I imagined being out and about with a celebrity at all - none of the ego boost and glamor that one projected. 

She explained last night that a year ago, she was caught on camera kissing her female makeup artist by the paparazzi, which led to fights with Andrew, and toxic silence, and more fights, which eventually led to the disintegration of their marriage. The worst part of it was that she lived with the paralyzing fear of being outed, though the photo was never released - Hylda had blackmailed the guy, a photographer at the National Enquirer, into never publishing them. Ever since the incident, she never felt comfortable receiving pleasure during sex anymore - she felt too exposed. It was safer to be the giver, to be the one in charge. 

"My therapist said that I had to practice the concept of 'radical acceptance'," she had said, "meaning I had to be at peace with the notion that sex is inherently vulnerable. I have to let go, to relinquish control. But I just couldn't, my brain always flashes back to those horrible memories." 

"I'd never do anything to hurt you, Cate," I had responded, "we've been traveling together for a week now. If I set out to take advantage of you in anyway, it would've appeared on the internet by now." 

"It's not about you, dear. It's something that I have to deal with on my own." 

We exchanged a brief goodbye at the arrivals gate, arranging a time to meet up for piano lessons in the next couple of days. 

-----

"How was your week off?" My boss asked me when I got back to the office.

"Pretty uneventful - just chilled at home and caught up on some reading." 

"Any further clues on who Hylda's secret client is?" 

The past week played on my mind like a slideshow in rapid succession. I was stunned by how close Cate and I grew together compared to the first time she saw me at the academy screening. 

"No idea - let's just wait and see if one of my scripts catches their eye." 

"It's an interesting space, classical music. Seems to be in demand in the industry lately. I heard through the grapevine that Cate Blanchett got attached to an untitled classical music project this week. Was written for her, apparently." 

My heart almost stopped. "...oh really? Wow, that's news to me." 

"Find out all about it - it sounds like the perfect project for us. Who's directing, writing, producing...I want to see if they need a production company attached. I think we have a lot to offer, with your connections in the music industry. Our slate really matches this project tonally." 

"Sure -"

"And please hurry - I'd hate to see Focus or Sony or A24 beat us to the punch in landing major talent like this. We need more awards buzz to establish ourselves in the indie space. A project like this is basically an Oscar shoo-in - do you have any idea how much it would mean to the board to have our first Oscar nomination in 3 years?" 

"I'll ask around." 

"And by the way, isn't Cate repped by Hylda?" 

"That's correct." 

"There's your first step." My boss smiled, adrenaline and naked ambition shimmering in her eyes as she walked away to start the 10 phone calls scheduled this afternoon between her and her own agent friends. 

Little did she know that I had all the channels that I needed to be a part of this project. A burning dilemma. I just promised Cate less than 24 hours ago that I'd never take advantage of her. If I gave off the impression that I was seeking to further my own career and asking her for favors on behalf of my company, it would put all my motives in question and destroy the trust between us completely. Even if she were okay with it, my company officially becoming a part of Tár  would increase the risk of us being found out. 

But after all, I was just a 25-year-old burgeoning film executive at an indie studio, and Cate was an Oscar-winning international superstar who could pretty much have whoever she wanted. Wasn't it downright delusional to think that my relationship with Cate would last? If it didn't, might as well just make an advance in my own career. After all, wasn't success all that I wanted? 

-----

"The door is unlocked - just come in." A text from Cate arrived just in time as I parked in her driveway three days later. 

I opened the door and went up her immaculate staircase again, two binders of sheet music in my arms. She appeared at the landing on top, in a soft white blouse and denim jeans and with her hair down. Her skin was translucent and soft under the warm glow of the evening sun. 

"Miss me?" her deep, sultry voice was accompanied with a wink. 

"You know it," I  responded playfully. 

"Come and sit with me."

"Not so fast - I'm the teacher today, I get to tell you what to do for a change." I teased. 

My boldness amused her as she gazed at my face, a thousand possibilities dancing in her blue eyes. Here she was, receiving someone she had known for a week into her home, without even bothering to lock her door. My insides twisted up in a knot as I felt the distance between us growing - it pained me that she was completely oblivious to the agenda that was imposed on me by my boss. It suddenly struck me that she was utterly alone in that house - her children were on the other side of the globe, and she was in a strange, inhumane town where everyone pretended to be friends with her but actually wanted something from her. The one person she thought she could trust would eventually let her down. 

"I'm all yours," she yielded. 

Please vote and comment if you like the story so far! Also feel free to DM me any suggestions. :) There's a 69% chance that I'll incorporate them.