19. My Word

'It suits you.' Tessa told Tommen. 'So very handsome, like your uncle.' Tessa told him winking back at Jaime. Jaime smiled moving to them. 

"Do you think I could be a good king?" Tommen questioned. 

"I think the fact that you want to be a good king is a step in the right direction already." Tessa agreed. 

"I dont know if my uncle killed Joffrey." Tommen admitted. 

"Thats why they have a council, so bring forth the facts." Tessa assured. 

"I feel like I should be present though." Tommen countered. 

"You are the king you can be if you want but I'm sure your grandfather will rule with just in your absence if you so choose to." Tessa assured touching Tommen's cheek. Jaime loved how sweet Tessa was with Tommen, how loving and motherly she was. 

"Tessa its time." Jaime remarked. Jaime extended his arm and tessa moved to him. 

"I get to sit next to kings guard Jaime Lannister," She feigned a swoon. Jaime smiled leaning into her. 

'I Tommen of the house Baratheon first of my name king of the andals and the first man Lord of the seven kingdoms do here by recuse myself of this trial. Tywin of the house Lannister hand of the king protector of the realm will sit as judge in my stead.' Tommen said and with that Tommen left the court his knights following after him. Tywin sat at the throne.

"Its for the best." Tessa agreed. "He would be flustered with all of this so early into his reign." 

"You are probably right." Jaime agreed. "But my father won't show Tyrion mercy." he added. 

'Tyrion of the house Lannister you stand accused by the queen regent of genocide. did you kill King Joffrey?' Tywin questioned his son.

'No.' Tyrion answered confidently.

So the trail began. Witnesses were brought forward, from the maester to soldiers to Cersei herself. Jaime couldnt look at Cersei as she spoke such vicious words aimed at their brothers demise. THat was another thing Jaime liked about tessa, she didnt hate Tyrion. 

'I will hurt you for this, the day will come when you think you are safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth and you will know that the debt is paid.' Cersei told them, bile rising in her throat. 

''Your own brother said this to you?' Mace asked. Tessa knew her father loved being in a position of power, loved being on the council even if tessa knew her father should never hold power. 

'Shortly before the battle of Blackwater Bay I confronted him about his plans to put Joffrey on the front lines. As it turned out when the attack came Joff insisted on remaining at the battle he believed his presence would inspire the troops.' Cersei lied.

'Tyrion said and he will know the debt is paid.' Oberyn quoted 'what debt?'

'I discovered he had been keeping whores in the tower of the hand.' Cersei told him 'I asked him to confine these salacious acts to the brothels where such behavior belongs. He wasn't pleased.'

"Do you think there is any chance that Tyrion wins this?" Tessa questioned. 

"I dont know." Jaime admitted. It was looking worse and worse by the moment. 

'Do you remember the precise nature of this threat?' 

'I'm afraid I do my Lord.' varys answered 'he said perhaps you should speak more softly to me then monsters are dangerous and just now kings are dying like flies.'

'And he said this to you at a meeting of the small council?'

'Yes after we received word of Robb Stark's death.. he didn't seem glad by the news perhaps his marriage is Sansa Stark made him more sympathetic to the northern cause.' There was an uproar in the crowd as varys spoke.

'you are excused lord Varys.' Tywin agreed.

"The starks death was vicious." Tessa remarked. "All of them, surely it is because Tyrion has a heart." Tessa countered. 

"I agree." Jaime assured. "But no one else will."

'Father May I ask a witness one question?' Tyrion asked varys looked to tywin.

'One.' Tywin answered

'You once said that without me the city would've faced certain defeat,' Tyrion reminded him. 'you said the histories would never mention me but you would not forget me. Have you forgotten Lord varys?' Tyrion asked

'Sadly my Lord, I never forget a thing.'

"Excuse me." Jaime whispered leaving Tessa's side. "I need to speak to my father." Tywin was in the hand of the kings office when Jaime burst in. 'You have always hated Tyrion.'

'He killed the king.' Tywin reminded Jamie

'So did i.' Jaime declared. ''do you know the last order the mad king gave me? It was to bring me your head. I saved your life so you can murder my brother?'

'There will be justice.' Tywin declared.

'Justice?' Jamie asked incredulously

'I'm performing my sworn duty as hand of the King if Tyrion is found guilty he will be addressed accordingly.' Tywin assured them.

'No.' Jaime said meekly. 'he will be executed.'

'he will be addressed accordingly.' Tywin informed his son.

'Once you said that family is all that lives on, it is all that lives on. You have always hated Tyrion.' Jaime told him. 'you told me about a dynasty that would last 1000 years what happens to your dynasty when Tyrion dies? I am a kings guard for bidden by oath.'

'I am aware of your oath.' Tywin spat.

'What happens to your name? Who carries the line carries the Lannister name into future battles? Your nephews?' Jaime reminded him.

'What happens to my dynasty if I spare my grandsons killer?' tywin countered.

'Your dynasty survives through me.' Jaime said, tywin looked up from his papers finally seeing his son.

'What do you mean?'

'I will leave the kings guard and take my place is your son and heir if you let Tyrion live.' Jaime told him.

 'Done.' Tywin agreed 'when the testimony is concluded in the guilty verdict is rendered Tyrion will be given the chance to speak, he will plead for mercy I will allow him to join the nights watch and in three days time he will depart from Castle Black and live out his days at the wall.' Tywin told him. 'you will remove your white cloaks immediately you will leave Kings Landing to assume your rightful place a casterly rock you will marry a suitable woman and father children named Lannister and you will never turn your back on your family again.' Tywin told him

"I will marry tessa tyrell." Jaime told tywin confidently. "Only she will do."

"Deal." Tywin agreed without even thinking of her barren status. It was a woman of noble birth and it would bring him peace at last getting exactly what he wanted. "You will marry her once this trial is complete."

"Deal." Jaime said immediately and jaime had never seen his father smile so largely. ''you have my word.' 

'then you have mine.' Tywin agreed.