chapter twenty-six

"Y/N."

"Mm?"

"Brat. Wake up."

You opened your eyes and blinked. The sun was annoyingly bright, and you gave yourself a second to adjust. When you opened your eyes all the way, you saw Levi sitting up, staring down at you.

"You okay?" you asked. You'd been asking that question a lot lately.

"Yeah."

You looked around. A lot of your friends were missing. A group of your Marleyan allies were stood on one of the sandy hills a little ways away from you. Onyankopon, Falco, Gabi, Pieck's Titan form and Yelena, their gazes fixed on something happening beyond the hills. "Where is everyone?" you asked, panicked, your voice hoarse.

Levi turned and reached for a flask full of water. He handed it to you, eyeing you carefully. As you drank, you took in your surroundings. You were somewhere between hills in the desert. The scarce amount of people meant that the plan was in full swing.

"What's going on?" you asked, handing the flask back to Levi.

"The Jaegerists captured the Azumabito and the port. They're trying to escape peacefully."

"Because the Jaegerists are all about peace," you grumbled.

Levi was perched on the edge of the cart, the blanket and cloak that were previously covering him were gone. His face was still bandaged heavily, but he seemed okay. He reached for your hand and pulled you towards the edge of the cart.

You glanced over at everyone else, then back at Levi. "Why didn't you wake me up?"

"You need all the rest you can get," he said as you seated yourself next to him. "I'm surprised you didn't wake up from all the shouting."

"Shouting?"

Levi shook his head. "Disagreements. Armin tried to negotiate a peaceful way out."

There was a loud boom that came from over the hills. Your head snapped towards the noise, but you couldn't see what was happening. You slid yourself from the cart and turned to Levi.

"You okay?" he asked.

"I think I'll be good to go if they need my help," you said.

Levi watched you with careful eyes. "Alright."

"Wanna try standing?" you offered, reaching your hand out towards him. He lowered himself from the cart and placed his feet on the ground. You could see him shaking, but you didn't help him. He would tell you if he needed help.

He balanced himself against the cart and took a few small steps toward you, his eye trained in the ground. You shuffled over next to him and placed your hands on his hips.

"You're doing so good." You grinned.

Levi met your gaze, then turned away, the tips of his ears turning a bright shade of red. It seemed your praising words had a bit of an effect on him.

"How're you feeling?" you asked him, you voice a low whisper. It seemed that everyone was checking up on you, not on Levi.

"Like shit. But better," he admitted. He looked down at his shaking legs. "This is pathetic."

You shook you head and started to shuffle over towards the onlookers, your arm around his waist for support. "No, it's not. You've seen me when I've tried walking after an injury, and you've never judged me for anything. It's stupid to think that I'd see you as pathetic. You're recovering."