18

The cool breeze drifted slowly through the trees, making Ahsoka shiver slightly as she stood with crossed arms overlooking the Coruscanti night sky. Exhaustion dragged at her heels, but her mind was fully awake and still reeling after the events of the day.

Master Kenobi had called ahead to inform the Council of their situation as they flew back to the Temple, so by the time they reached it there were troopers ready to recieve her imprisoned former master. He had been ushered straight to the cell block but not without giving her a nasty glare that, despite herself, had made her wince just slightly in fear. Then the two Jedi had insisted Ahsoka return to the Halls of Healing for the third time in the past couple of weeks, and after her checkup she was cleared to leave but was ordered to have a few days of rest before she re-entered the field. Then again, Ahsoka wasn't sure whether she'd ever re-enter the field.

She sighed and reentered the Temple hall, frowning. With everything going on she hadn't even considered her life after her master was incarcerated; if she wasn't reassigned within a few days, rumor had it that padawans without masters were either expedited to Knighthood or reassigned as a Temple worker. Ahsoka would mush rather become a Knight than a Temple worker, but she knew given her age that was unlikely. Nevertheless, she braced herself for the undoubtedly chaotic next few days as the Council rushed to find her a master and Krell stood trial with her as a key witness against him.

Once Ahsoka entered her now half-empty shared quarters, sleep came to her quickly. Her body rejoiced at the chance for some true rest, and although her mind was still racing eventually it gave up and allowed her the sleep she needed so desperately. The padawan closed her eyes, and the next thing she knew her chrono read 0925.

She sat up and rubbed her eyes, already feeling much better physically than she did yesterday. Ahsoka decided to wake up by performing some stretches, flexing and twisting her already limber body in order to keep it that way. Once she was done with this she exited her quarters, only to almost run into her good friend Barriss Offee.

The hooded Miralian jumped slightly, a shocked look on her face that Ahsoka thought was amusing. "Oh! Stars, Ahsoka, do you always sprint headfirst out of your room?"

"Only sometimes." Ahsoka replied with a small smile.

Barriss gave a small shy smile of her own, then cleared her throat. "The Council sent me to fetch you; they wish to talk to you about your next steps."

"I already know my next steps." The padawan grumbled, falling into step with her friend. "Either be reassigned or become a Temple worker."

The Miralian sighed lightly. "I'm so sorry you've had to deal with this all on your own, Ahsoka; if I had known of the mistreatment you were undergoing, I-"

"I know, I know." Ahsoka gently cut her off. "But I couldn't tell anyone for obvious reasons."

Barriss's eyes drifted towards the floor. "I know."

The two padawans walked in silence the rest of the way until Ahsoka reached the lifts. She shot her friend another smile. "Thanks for the walk and talk."

Barriss gave a slight bow, something that Ahsoka always found formal but amusing. "Of course. I hope you find the answers you're looking for."

"Doubtful." Ahsoka muttered under her breath once her friend was far enough away, entering the lift and traveling towards the Council chambers. Once she arrived she stepped inside, bowing to the members and observing in surprise that every single Council member was physically present; the odds of that ever happening during the war was astronomical, yet here they all were.

"Masters." She greeted, clasping her hands behind her back. "You called for me?"

"Yes, Ahsoka." Master Kenobi answered, giving her a subtle but comforting smile. She returned it, listening expectantly. "After careful consideration, the Council has decided to accelerate Pong Krell's trial to tomorrow."