20

The birds chirped softly as Ahsoka sifted her hand through the water, looking down as the ripples of her movement warped her skin into something different. Something beautiful. She sighed softly and withdrew it, wiping it dry on her skirt and turning away from the little fountain to lean against it and listen to the water flow inside of it. It had been another couple of hours since her former master's trial with no messages from the Council, and her hope was continuing to wane that anyone would take her as their apprentice.

"This has always been one of my favorite places." A calm voice gently brought her out of her thoughts. Ahsoka turned to see Master Kenobi staring up at the fountains around them. "The Room of a Thousand Fountains is a place of quiet contemplation and practicing harmony within the Force." He gave Ahsoka a warm smile. "Legend has it that all fountains went still after the Jedi Civil War in reverence to the hunted and fallen warriors." The wise Jedi removed his hand armor and placed it through the fountain. "Let us hope such a phenomenon would never occur again."

Ahsoka blinked, her eyes following the Master's hand as he dried it and looked back down at her. "I sense trouble within you, padawan." He declared softly, gesturing next to her. "Mind if I sit with you?"

The padawan immediately shook her head. "No, not at all Master." She replied, more out of a reflexive kindness than actually wanting company. Then again, a part of her didn't want to be alone either. Besides, Master Kenobi's presence was a stark contrast to Skywalker's; both were enjoyable, but Kenobi's was much more still and solid than Skywalker's unpredictable bouncing from emotion to emotion in the time Ahsoka had gotten to feel them. She still didn't know Master Kenobi very well, but she had a feeling that was about to change after today.

The Master sat next to her but far enough away to give the padawan her own space. "Thank you." He declared quietly, flashing her a small relieved smile. "Even us older Jedi need tranquility from time to time, and in my opinion it's always best to meditate and reflect with a friend so one doesn't drown too deeply in their own thoughts."

After a quick moment of silence he continued, giving Ahsoka a knowing but understanding look. "Which is what I sense you came here to do."

The pair drifted off into an uneasy silence, or at least it was uneasy on Ahsoka's end; whether or not it was for Master Kenobi she couldn't say. She exhaled lightly through her nose and looked back down at the water, reaching her hand down until it stopped only a few inches above the surface. A small ripple formed and a large droplet of water grew upwards, stretching against the surface of the pool and defying gravity.

The droplet detached from the water around it to form a small sphere that Ahsoka levitated shortly above her hand, watching as the water inside pulsated and rushed around erratically as if it wasn't used to being in such a state of confusion. In such a state of confinement.

Trapped. The word floated just as erratically through her mind as the sphere of water Ahsoka held. She repeated her exhale and gently released the ball back into the pool, watching the ripples that formed from the release until they reached the edges of the pool and dissipated. All the while Master Kenobi observed patiently, impressed at the padawan's skill of matter manipulation and not wanting to interrupt whatever introspection was occurring until she spoke for herself.

Speak she did. "Master..." She began softly, still looking down at the water. "Have you ever felt trapped?"

Obi-Wan blinked, not expecting the question. But nevertheless he came up with an answer quickly. "I'd be hard pressed to find anyone who hasn't, so yes."

Ahsoka nodded. "Yes, but... I mean... In a place you thought was safe? Like a place where you thought no one could ever hurt you?"

This elaboration caused the master to think for a moment, and he leaned back with a contemplative frown. "I've undergone physical entrapments galore, but I'm sensing that the trap you're thinking of is more of a betrayal." He declared solemnly, glancing down at her with a sympathetic frown. "Am I correct?"