37- Falling Hard

Magsimula sa umpisa

"Nora," He took off my hat and played with the tips of my hair. "What the hell is this anyway? You cut and dyed your beautiful hair?"

I slapped his hands away. "Don't you dare touch me!"

He shook his head, "You might have changed your hair but I know you... the real you, Nora. How many others can say that? Huh? Who the fuck even is that man back there?" He hissed, pointing back at Brady.

I stepped in front of Ben, blocking him from Brady and pushed Ben back. Thinking back to Amanda, Kyson and everyone that was behind me, watching this go down. They knew the real me outside of music, especially Brady and that's all I've ever wanted.

Ignoring his question, because I didn't need to explain myself to him. "You have your priorities mixed up. Your kids need you, and I've moved on. I suggest you do the same."

I felt another presence beside me and an arm wrapped around my shoulders, looking up to see Ed glaring over at Ben. "Times up. I think it's best if you leave here and never come back. Or should I call the police?"

"I'll go... but know this Nora," he motioned between the two of us. "this isn't over."

"It is over! As soon as you leave, I'm calling Selena and she's going to file a restraining order against you. Leave Montana and I swear to God if you show up at my ranch again, I will have you arrested for harassment." I paused for a moment as he looked at me, his eyes pleading with mine for a moment alone. "It's over." I repeated.

*******

I stood there staring in the direction Ben finally left moments ago. I didn't feel like facing anyone yet, but I knew I had to. Ed still had his arm protectively wrapped around me. "Ellie... are you okay?" He whispered.

I felt like crying and was trying with all my power to keep my shit together so I nodded and turned towards the others when I realized Brady was right behind me now too.

Jake's mouth was slightly open as his eyes studied my face. I could tell he had figured out who I really was by now, along with everyone else that had shocked expressions on their faces.

Kassi gave me a sad smile and it made me want to cry harder. "I'm so sorry he showed up here..." I whispered to Brady as tears filled my eyes.

Brady wrapped his arms around me and pulled me into a hug. The hug I desperately needed. I held him tight, taking in his scent as I continued to hold back the tears. "Shhh. It's okay, Ellie. I've got you."

We stood there for a few minutes before I pulled away from his embrace but he grabbed my hands, stopping me. "I should go."

"What? Why?"

"I don't want to bring any more of my drama here to your family."

"I can go with you."

"Brady-"

"I understand you need time right now by yourself but please don't push me away."

Was he worried I would do what he did when the stuff went down with his ex? He pushed his family and friends away, but that was the furthest thing I wanted right now.

"Brady, I'm not going to push you away. I just thought it might be best if I went back to my ranch, that's all." I shrugged my shoulders and gave him a sad smile. I was embarrassed more than anything that Ben showed up here.

Brady let out a breath and seemed happy with my answer, but he still never let go of my hands.

"Honey, we love you like family. We don't want you to leave, please stay." Carrie Ann added.

Ed put his hand on my lower back. "Come on. Let's go sit out on the back patio, grill up some amazing burgers and have a beer... or maybe a few." I giggled as I looked up at him and nodded. He gave me a warm smile and walked alongside Brady and I up to their house.

I sat beside Brady, shifting uncomfortably. Jake leaned up against the house, still staring at me while everyone else found a seat. "Oh my God, Jacob! You're freaking me out."

"You're Nora Rose." He finally spoke and turned towards Kassidy. "How are you not freaking out right now?"

She smiled as she leaned up against the wall beside him. "I already knew. I recognized her the day I came home from college. How she went as long as she did without being recognized by all of you, is shocking."

Jake turned towards Brady. "So when we talked about how similar she looked to Nora, you already knew it was actually her?"

Brady smiled and shook his head no. "No, I found out a few days ago. Mom and Dad, you don't seem shocked either."

They both sat down at the table, handing us both a beer. "Your father said something to me after he came to visit her when she first got here. Then when Kassidy screamed that night, it kind of confirmed our suspicions."

"Why didn't you say anything?" I asked.

"We know what was going on in your life. It was plastered all over the news and magazines... You clearly needed to get away and looked like you didn't want to be recognized. We respected that."

"I'm finally to the point where I don't care what everybody thinks about me anymore. People will always talk, just to sell a story... It took me a long time to get here, but it is important to me that you know that I don't go around trying to ruin marriages."

Carrie Ann grabbed a hold of my hands and smiled... "Honey, I want to tell you a story. You were in your second year of touring and Ed and I bought Kassidy and two of her friends tickets to come see you in concert for her birthday, despite all of the rumors swirling around about you in the past. There was a little girl with down syndrome holding up a sign for you. I can't remember exactly what it said but you brought her up on that stage with you and got down to her level, talked to her and probably made that little girl's dream come true. It was the sweetest thing I've ever witnessed."

I wiped the tears from my eyes, remembering the concert she was talking about.

"I watched the way Kassidy and her friends looked at you in awe as you sang up on that stage and I remember thinking.... I am so glad these girls have a role model like Nora to look up to. You're right, people will always talk if you do good or bad and I can't even begin to imagine how that would feel but you have an amazing family and us now. Like we said before... We love you like family, Eleanor. If we didn't, we never would have asked you to be Brady's nurse. We found a few others to help us out the week I was gone but we could see something happening between the two of you." She started laughing, "Plus you were the only one that could put Brady in this place with his grumpy behavior. He's been through a lot too and we can all see how happy you guys are when you're with each other. I can speak for everyone here... we're all rooting for you guys."

Brady wrapped his arm around my lower back and squeezed slightly before leaning in, leaving a long, lingering kiss on my cheek. I closed my eyes and smiled to his touch, fully relaxing me again.

A few minutes later Kassidy broke the silence. "Sooo, what did my brother say when you told him who you were?"

I started laughing. "Welp! He took it..."

"Great. Then we had supper, the end." Brady said, finishing my sentence.

"Ehh, that's not quite the story I remember." Brady tickled my side, as if he was warning me not to tell the story, but I continued anyway. "Let's see... first he laughed at me, then he stared at me creepily like Jacob's still is doing... then Brady hid in the bathroom for an hour before joining me again in the kitchen."

I looked over at Brady, everyone was laughing including Brady as they teased him. His smile was truly breathtaking and I found myself smiling at him. It was right then and there I realized what all of these feelings I was having were...

I was falling hard for Brady Montgomery.