16- The carnival

Brady's P.O.V.

I heard Eleanor's car pulling up, wondering if she was going to stay but she didn't. Kassidy got out of the car and came into the house alone.

"Hey, sweetheart. Dad told me you've been with Eleanor, how was your day?" Mom questioned as she cleaned up the kitchen.

"It was good. I was at her house for a few hours this morning, we went to the TwoStep to see Jenna and then we went to the hardware store. She needed a few more things before she paints the horse barn."

I mentally groaned. I guess that meant she wouldn't be helping me with Spook.

"I really like Eleanor. She's funny and-"

"What's her deal?" I interrupted.

Kassidy sat down next to me, "what do you mean?"

"I mean... I get Henry left the Ranch to her but she hasn't been here for two years and now she's here all summer? Surely she has a life and a boyfriend."

Kassidy's smile widened and I could see Mom watching too. "You know what... for two people that say they're not interested in anyone... you've both ask an awfulllllly lot of questions about each other today."

"What's she asking about me?"

She shook her head, "You're a dork, Brady."

"Well you can't tell me something and then not elaborate... it's rude."

"Are you interested in Eleanor because I highly approve of her." Kassidy added.

"Me too." Mom jumped in, smiling.

I looked between the two, "No, I'm not. I just think something's going on and it's weird for her to just show up like this."

"Listen, it's really none of our business. She is going through something in her life but it has nothing to do with us. She just needs a... timeout let's just say. Everyone goes through a rough time, you of all people should know that... so leave it alone, Brady."

She's not working? She drives a hundred thousand dollar vehicle and needs a time out? "Wait. Is anyone trying to hurt her?"

Maybe she's running from an abusive ex.

"No, it's nothing like that."

"But you know what it's about?"

"Yes."

Well that just wasn't good enough for me.

*******

"Come on! The boys are already in the truck waiting for us." Jake whined as he laid down next to Charlie on my bed.

"Jesus Christ. I'm coming."

Jake started laughing. "That's what she said."

"Oh my God, you're an idiot." I shook my head, laughing.

"Well that's mean. You can't tell me it wasn't a little funny?"

"Maybe a little, let's go."

This weekend was the big kick off to summer, which means the carnival was in town. This was something we always did as a family, even as we got older.

Me, I didn't care as much... but the fair food was amazing and it was fun watching my nephews go on rides.

Danny, Chase and Mike were sitting in the back, riding with us. "Jenna told Greg Eleanor would be joining us this year." Jake started in.

"Cool." I knew this already because Greg and Jenna were picking her up.

"Oh my God. Have you completely died inside." Jake tried knocking on my head as he drove but I swatted his hand away. "That woman is finer than wine and you can just say cool. Cool... coooool." He mocked in different voices, making everyone...but me, laugh.