CH 26 || New Years

Start from the beginning

I walked back and pulled on the door.

The knob didn't turn.

Well. Shit.

I had forgotten to leave it open. My hands ran over my pockets before I stopped. I'd left my phone in my room, so I wasn't tempted to text someone... Double Shit.

I raised my knuckles and knocked on the freezing glass as loud as possible. Then I waited. The only thing I heard was the low drumming of the bass downstairs.

I paced, tugging my frigid hands under my armpits. Why was I so distracted today?

I ran towards the railing and yelled loudly. The only reply was the wind softly rustling through the empty branches. The noise from the party drowned out all the other sounds. And no one else was stupid enough to go outside. Except me. Of course.

Tremors wracked my limbs and I had to clench my jaw to keep it from chattering. How long until someone would come to check? The party was probably going to last till morning. I leaned over the side, trying to estimate the distance. Probably three to four feet down and the ground was covered in a thick pile of snow. It should be fine, right?

Carefully, I climbed onto the railing. I tried to peer down when my clammy hands suddenly lost their grip. My heart jumped into my throat as I slid over the icy wood. A gasp escaped my lips as I finally caught myself.

Okay, frozen surfaces were slippery. Should have anticipated that.

My stomach flopped as I glanced down again. The ground seemed to stretch away from me but the pillowing snow was beckoning. Except that it might not be as deep as I would expect. On that note, maybe this wasn't such a good idea after all.

I was about to get down when I heard my name being called in a subdued voice. Somebody was out there?

I leaned over the barrier, searching the yard.

A hand clasped my arm and with a yelp, I was yanked backward so fast we both tumbled to the ground. Somewhere above my ear, a low, angry voice rasped out, "What the hell do you think you're doing?"

I knew that voice. He clutched me so hard I could feel his chest rising against my back. "Ki-Killian?"

He hunched forward, resting his forehead on my shoulders. A blanket fanned out on each side of us. "Who do you think?" he countered weakly.

I grew motionless, my focus trained on the uneven rise and fall of his chest and the palpable heat radiating from his body.

"Killian," I said tentatively. "Are you sick?"

He didn't reply. His hot breath ran down my back and my heartbeat did some weird jumpy thing.

I coughed lightly. "You have to go inside."

He grumbled something unintelligible under his breath.

"What was that?" I asked, turning my head.

"Don't want to," he mumbled against my neck.

I gawked at him. What did he mean he didn't want to? "What are you saying? First, let go of me. I will–"

He finally lifted his head to glare at me and I stopped talking. In the sparse light, his hazel eyes appeared darker, taking on a warm, liquid-brown hue. Our faces were mere inches apart. "Don't want to," he said louder this time.

"Just let go of me for now, okay?"

He sagged. His chest pressed against my back and both arms loosely wrapped around me. "Can't."