The Art of Courting- Chapter Twenty Two

Start from the beginning

“Is there a set bedtime?” Willa asked. “Cause I plan to be up until the wee hours of the morning!”

“I’ll be with you on that,” Ian agreed- which was surprising because they hardly ever agreed on anything.

“No,” she admitted while spreading out the candy. “I guess we’ll just wait until we pass out.”

Chelsea looked over at the other three and knew that they were all thinking the same thing.

            We’re not going to pass out until tomorrow night with this much sugar.

She was right.

            It was one o’clock in the morning and Willa was still going strong, jumping up and down as she put a new movie in the Blu-ray player. Chelsea herself yawned and leaned against Jordan, who was already asleep. Andy had passed out with his head on her lap.

            And Ian was on his fifth, and last, bag of Cheetos.

            “Let’s watch The Breakfast Club,” Willa sang before collapsing down onto the pillows. Her greyish green eyes were wide as she took in the screen.

            Chelsea held back a yawn as the opening credits finished. She decided to talk to the others before she fell asleep. 

            “You know,” she said before yawning again. “If you married my brother, Willa, you would have to name your child Willow. So then it would be William, Willa and Willow O’Hara.”

            “What if we have a boy?”

            “Willis. Willis William O’Hara.” She yawned again after this statement, while Willa and Ian burst into laughter.

            “Well,” Ian said between laughs, “if I ever have a child, I’ll name her Holly.”

            This caused Willa to stop her giggles. “Wow, that’s what I’d name my kid!”

            They are so perfect for each other! Chelsea couldn’t help but coo in her head. I can just imagine them getting married and having their own little daughter…

            “I can see you plotting in your head,” one of her new victims warned, suspicion coloring her tone.

            “Who? Me? Never!” She shook her head in innocent denial.

            “Uh huh.”

            They all turned back to the movie, but Willa was constantly shooting her suspicious looks. Ian was oblivious.

            By the time The Breakfast Club had finished, the two lovebirds had fallen asleep on each other. Their sugar highs obviously didn’t last as long as they wanted them to. Chelsea found herself to be the only one wide-awake in the middle of the night. No matter how hard she tried, she couldn’t fall into that oblivion. 

            When her phone ticked over to three o’clock, she sat up and decided to get a drink of water.

            Having been in the Frost mansion many times, Chelsea knew her way around in the dark. She opened the fridge and grabbed a bottle of water, ripping open the cap and chugging half of it down.

            In her whole life, she’d never felt so unnecessarily thirsty.

            “Chelly?” a voice mumbled from behind her. She jumped and slammed her head on the fridge door.

            “Ow,” she groaned.

            “Shit, are you okay?” the familiar voice asked and helped her to the table. The light turned on.

            “Yeah, I’m fine. Just a bump.” Chelsea brought her head out of her hands to see Jay looking down on her with a concerned expression on his face. “Trust me.”

            He frowned slightly before he replied. “Why aren’t you asleep?”

            “I’m not tired,” she said before shrugging.

            “Hmm, maybe I can bore you to sleep!”

            Jay grinned at her cheekily before sitting down across from her on the island. She instantly leaned backwards, not trusting the look on his face.

            “And how exactly do you plan to do that?”

            “By asking you…” He paused to think for a second. “Why do elephants not like mice? Mice are small while they are big!”

            She sent him a look that clearly said ‘really?’

            “It’s been proven that they aren’t afraid of mice, or anything for that matter.”

            “But on Mythbusters-”

            Chelsea sent him a glare. “That’s a TV show, Jay. I’m talking scientific fact. All that episode showed was that elephants are intelligent enough to tell the difference between a mouse and a piece of shit.”

            “You’re so ladylike,” he snorted. “And, for your information, I still believe that they’re afraid of mice.”

            He jutted out his chin stubbornly like it would substantiate his point further.   

            It didn’t. It just made Chelsea want to laugh. “Okay, Jay. Whatever you say.”

            “Are your ready to go to bed now?” Her yawn answered his question, and he instantly jumped up. “Come on, before you fall asleep on the counter!”

            With his help, they both dragged their feet to the living room. Chelsea felt like a weight had been lifted off her shoulders when he lay down next to her and sent her that familiar smile. It was like nothing had changed.

            Jay’s warmth seeped into her as he almost pressed himself into her back, his hand resting comfortably on her hip. As his breathing evened out, she felt a small tear roll down her cheek.

            She knew that this was wrong- being so close to him- and it would hurt Dani to know what was still happening between her and her boyfriend.

            But God, she was sure that this was all hurting her more than anyone else. She was once convinced that she was completely over Jay. He was an insufferable dickhead… until he did something amazingly sweet that reminded her of her Jay. The only one she wanted to remember.  

            And it almost killed her because she knew that everything was going to go back to normal in the morning.

            She would be alone, again. 

****

Sorry it's short, it's only a filler <3

Amazing song >

Do you maybe love Jay a little more now? He's on the side!