Asking her out was cut short, as she responded callously: "Sorry, I already have a boyfriend." Before walking away.

Though it hurt, I could only laugh at myself. "I should have known that she had a boyfriend. If I hung out with people, I might have been able to pick that up."

I soon got over it. And it seemed like old news. But, asking out the prettiest girl would eventually come to bite me; as word traveled throughout the school. Soon, people began to bully me. Tacks in seats, incriminating letters, torn slippers. Though, that didn't faze me all too much, looking back at it. Though, what really did was when I went to track; on the very same field, and attended the very same race that I glanced at right now. This was two years ago, during the year our school would host for sectional championships. Most of the schools in the prefecture were attending.

Standing near my blocks, I ended up looking around for someone to hold my blocks. No one on my team wanted to hold my block because of me, being, well me. And no one from the other team would end up holding the block for someone. Except for one person.

"Excuse me. Allow me to hold your block." Someone said, It was a boy. He had the uniform of the high class high school. He must be rich, I thought.

"Sure, be my guest." I said, before getting ready.

Soon, he began to talk. "I know a lot about you, you're Hikabe, the men's top runner at this school."

"Yes. How did you know?"

"Well, I must say, you are a bit of a celebrity. I heard that you ran a 11 second meter just when you were a middle schooler."

"Everyone in positions." The official said.

Everyone, who stopped practice running out of their blocks returned to their positions. Hikabe ended up cutting off the continued talking person. "Look I'm flattered. But I am going to have to run now. So, I can't talk."

"That is fine." He replied, still continuing. As the official continued, he ended up breaking into a whisper that I was sure only I could hear. "Just listen- I heard many things about you. I heard that you don't have anybody to hold your block most of the time. I heard that you are antisocial, and I heard that you even tried to ask out a girl named Nahara.You know why?"

"Ready, set....." The official said.

"I'm her boyfriend." He replied.

BANG

Immediately, I fumbled to the ground, as everyone ended up running past me. There was no false start warning. There was no calling back the running. They all ran.

"Sir!!" I ended up looking at the official with a pained expression, only for him to look away, pretending to look at the now-already completed race. I ended up rushing to the race managers, trying to explain what happened, that someone didn't hold my block. 

They mostly seemed to be dissuaded by what I was saying, as if I was extremely petty. Though, it seemed they reluctantly agreed to allow me to race again. However, in that moment, a large pulsating thunder that vibrated everyone. Soon, after that, it was as if an egg was cracked and yolk was running out, as the rain began to start, becoming increasingly more powerful. The announcers, ended up glancing at one another, as before announcing among the speakers that their race would be temporarily paused until the thunderstorm passes. To which everyone ended up going inside into the building. Of course, I went too.

I was disheartened that I wasn't able to race, though after the water came down in a downpour, I was able to wipe out that disheartenment. Alright once the rain settles, I will have my chance to run again. Glancing back at my slightly damp clothes, not wanting to catch a cold, I decided to go into the bathrooms so I could dry off my clothes.