Chapter 3: Teamwork

I stared daggers at the creature, eyebrows knitted so much they almost touched each other. I prayed my aura of animosity was enough to warn the creature of how dangerous I could be and that it would keep its distance from me. However, it did not seem to be working; the loathsome animal came closer slowly but surely. I was in the corner of the room and had no means of escape. I pondered my options. A real dagger would have been ideal but there was no such option. Would it be better if I picked up the chair in front of me and use it as a shield? Should I try my luck and scream my lungs out, hoping that it might attract the attention of someone?

While I could feel more and more sweat droplets bead my forehead, I could not come to a decision and was in grave danger. The creature approached me, inching closer still. I shut my eyes real tight and was about to let out the loudest shriek of my life when I heard a familiar voice calling out-

"Now that you all are in your assigned pairs, please work together as a team and get started on your project," Mr Low announced to the class.

"Maybe we could get started if you'd let me get closer. How can we discuss if you are seated three seats away from me?" Elias said while giving me a warm and sincere smile, wishing that that would be enough to convince me that he was trustworthy. He then attempted once again to move one more seat closer to me while I responded by moving another seat away. I refused to allow the distance between us to close.

"Emberlynn and Elias," Mr Low said while suddenly appearing beside us. I swear he must have a secret job of being a ninja and being a teacher was just a cover-up. "I believe my instructions were to get started on your project, not to play musical chairs. Please get started."

Shoot. I've been checkmated, I thought to myself bitterly, while looking down, wanting to avoid any eye contact. I clasped my hands tightly against each other while twiddling my thumbs.

Not wasting that golden opportunity, Elias moved and sat right beside me while I remained rooted to my seat, knowing very well that Mr Low would not put up with any more of my antics. I continued looking down with occasional glances to see what Elias was doing. Flashing a charming boyish grin while giving a thumbs up, he answered reassuringly, "Don't worry Mr Low. We've got this. It would be a project that would impress the class and you. Right, Ember?"

That was a first. No one has ever called me that before. He looked at me in the hope of getting me to agree with him.

Fat hope.

I remained silent and continued my downward gaze. Mr Low looked at the both of us before walking away without saying a word.

Elias then immediately turned and faced me. "Any ideas how we can make the project a resounding success, beautiful?" he broke into his boyish grin again, believing that it would be enough to charm me into looking at him. While that remark did nothing to move me at all, my blood, however, had a different mind of its own. That out-of-the-blue comment caused it to rush up to my face, resulting in my face flushed into a full-blown red. I was so embarrassed by that comment even I could feel the tips of my ears burning scarlet red.

"I've got a great idea for our project!" he quipped with great enthusiasm while perking up, complete with a beaming smile that radiated brightly like the sun. It was almost as if what we had thought about him was wrong. Maybe he was a good catch and Georgina could be right. If that was so, I could find a reason to talk to her, giving me certainty that our friendship would survive this disastrous misunderstanding.

Maybe he really would be the bright shining light to mending our relationship, I contemplated with a ray of hope. The grip on my palms loosened up slightly though I remained immobile.

"Let me lean closer to you to whisper into your ear so no one else can steal our idea, alright?" he said in a gentle tone while leaning closer toward me.