Chapter 10

I heard a knock on the door "You may enter"

"Are you joining us for dinner" turning around to the voice it was Lady Bridgerton "Lady Bridgerton-" i started to speak but she waved her hand with a smile on her face before she walked in and sat at the table "Please call me Violet ...i knew you and Antony where distant to be together since the first time you and he met"

"Violet it's not like that"

"You may not see it that way nor does Miss Edwina maybe not even Antony but we see it"

"What do you mean by us?" i asked as the maids came in with a dress in their hand "Never you mind that i bought this dress for you i was hoping you could wear this when you come down to dinner" looking at the dress they held before me then back at Violet i could see the hope in her eyes for what I'm not to sure but i to make her smile just on this day would be enough for me "of course I'll be right down" i said and she smiled widely before getting up and heading out the door. Turning around to them i sighed "Let's make haste shall we" i said as i start to help with my dress.

 Turning around to them i sighed "Let's make haste shall we" i said as i start to help with my dress

🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝

As i enter the dining almost everyone was there except the Sharmas "You look beautiful" Daphne said and i smiled down at her "Thank you but you should really compliment your mom she's the one that picked this dress out for me" i said as i started walking towards the seat the was next to Lady Danbury and she shook her head "No Lady Blackwood you sit there" she said pointing to the different seat behind me, looking behind me there was a seat across from Daphne who was next to Anthony who was at the other end of the table, i look over at Lady Danbury then Violet who was just smiling at each other. I gave a tight smile and nodded before walking over to Anthony who got out and pulled my seat out i don't think he realized he was doing this because soon a look shocked over took his place "thank you" i said quietly sitting down.

Soon the Sharmas came in Kate sat next to Eloise...why couldn't i sit there... Miss Sharma sat next to Lady Danbury and Kate sat next to me "Edwina would you like to change sit" i whispered to her and she nodded as i start to stand up i caught Lady Danbury's eyes and she shook her head, sighing i sat back down "on second thought i think it would be rude to change sits" i said and Edwina smiled nodding in agreement.

As we started to eat everyone was chatting with everyone else Eloise told me everything that she thought i needed to know while i was gone and Daphne told me the things i needed to know that Eloise didn't."This room is exceptionally well-lit. Have you noticed, Col? The twinkle of the candles is as... It's as if... we sit among the stars." Benedict said and everyone stopped and stared at him "What is wrong with you?" El asked "I was just telling Benedict how brilliant the stars were in Greece" Colin replied, looking behind Edwina i saw Benedict and Colin looking at me i gave him a face to let him know that Ben is drunk. "Are you enjoying your time here, Miss Edwina?" Daph asked trying to get the attention off of Ben and Colin.

"I am, very much. The buzz of the city is thrilling indeed, but I quite enjoy the peace of the country"

"As do I. Though I dare say. It is not quite so peaceful with my entire family in residence" Lord Bridgerton said and Edwina chuckled. As i stretched a pain shoot across my back shucking in my breath i tried not to make a move so the pain would subdue looking across the table at Lady Danbury i saw the worry in her eyes i shook my head slightly to tell her I'm alright, pleasing my hand down slowly to ease the pain soon i felt a hand on the lower half of my back rubbing it back at forward, looking over i saw Lord Bridgerton glanced at me before looking back at Edwina "I understand, my lord. Certainly, I cannot compare my family with your seven brothers and sisters but my sister and I were known to be a handful growing up too"

"Mm. I can imagine" he said and i reached behind me and moved his hand off my back, turning to Edwina i smiled down at her. "But Kate and Esmeralda always have had my best interests at heart she bears a heavy responsibility for our family"

"That sounds remarkably similar to you, Anthony has much familial responsibility to bear, indeed" Daphne said, looking at her i glanced over at Anthony he was already looking at me with those eyes. Those eyes that made every woman fall for him,those eyes that can make someone's heart beat fast and skip a beat at the same time. "It was a revelation made all the better by the knowledge that I may have been the only Briton to see it in decades" Colin said i have no idea what he was talking about but Ben dropped his wine he shouldn't be drinking more wine and Kate gasp and i tried to hide in my laughter "Benedict, dear, you alarm our guests"

"It's quite all right, Violet" i said smiling at him. "Perhaps...it is time for a toast" Lady Danbury said "A good idea to cheer our guests" Violet replied. "Or to tend to other pressing matters My-" Lady Danbury said and i looked at them before looking at Anthony i know what they were trying to do but Anthony didn't say anything he just looked at me and my heart started racing faster and faster we stared at each other before i heard Kate say something and he stood up "A toast Yes! My sincere gratitude to the Sharmas and Esmeralda for joining us It has been splendid having you here to witness what is now my second annual loss at pall-mall not to be repeated, I assure you, and my special gratitude to Miss Edwina. It has certainly been a privilege to truly make your acquaintance these past days In fact, I believe there is a question I would like to ask you" he said smiling at Edwina before he looked over at me and i turned my head towards Lady Danbury something past her eyes just the same as Violet when i glanced at her.

"I should like to, uh... I should like to ask you to please refrain from telling anyone back in London about yesterday's loss. I fear the harm to my reputation would simply be too great Um... To the pleasant days ahead" he said, turning back around i raised my glass to the toast drinking my wine and one sitting before exhaling deeply

It was a rather a quiet dinner after that i could see the disappointment in Edwina's eyes i feel bad for her i feel even worse because i felt glad Anonthy didn't ask her to marry him. After everyone was dismissed i felt a hand grab mine looking back it was Anthony "i would like to speak to you alone if you can" Glancing back i saw Violet and Lady Danbury still talking to one another but i could see them looking at us "I must go talk to Edwina we can talk later" i said grabbing his hand and giving it a light squeeze before leaving. Walking up to my room i changed into my nightdress and headed towards Edwina's room knocking i heard a little shuffle before Kate open the door. "May i come in?" i asked and she nodded walking towards Edwina i walked in closing the door behind me and walking towards them as Kate put something in Edwina's hair i looked at her through the mirror and I could see the hurt in her face "You must know you did nothing wrong?" i said

"I must have done something the rest of the ton are now set to join us in the country. Surely if the viscount were to propose, he'd have done it by now. Yes? What if I have missed my chance?" i sat next to her grabbing her hand "Edwina"

"Perhaps I should've found out more about the Bridgertons. I should've known more about their interests I should've been better" she said with a shaky breath before i saw a tear fall down her face whipping i pulled her closer hugging her. "I have bungled this entire affair and now I feel like a fool"

"Never say such a thing I knew he would only end up hurting you. Come here" i said and tap Kate who joined us in a hug. "I hate seeing you like this" she said "I thought he liked me"

"You are the diamond of the season there are many a gentleman back in London who does not wish for your hand" Kate said whipping Edwina's tears away as we let go of her "You have choices all will be well, despite this disappointment with the viscount, I assure you" i said hugging her kissing her forehead one last time before i headed out towards my room.