I never would have guessed

Start from the beginning

"How'd you figure that one out?" You asked raising and an eyebrow at him, before turning your body around and leaning against the counter. "I had my suspicions but he told me... when we stayed late at work and I had my encounter with him." Nines explained also turning his body around and leaning against the counter he was at.

"You said he said unpleasant things..."

"A man like that expressing his feelings for you is unpleasant but it was what he said with it that was meant to be unpleasant." Nines told you, his LED started flickering between yellow and red.

"Please tell me what he said." You begged giving him the cutest pout you could.

"He told me to keep my plastic hands away from you. I informed him that would be impossible due to the fact that if I have to save your life I would need to touch you. He did not like that." Nines began before pausing and turning back to the food he was preparing and getting back to it. "Then he told me he's liked you from the moment you joined the DPD, I responded by telling him that you clearly were not interested if it's been that long. He then asked me if I thought I was smart."

"Let me guess you told him that you are smart." You guessed as a breathy laugh came from him.

"I did yes. As you can probably assume he did not like that very much, he then said there was a reason you and RK800 never worked out and that was because he's just a piece of plastic that is not aware on how to act like a man. I was highly confused on why he was telling me that so I told him I did not see what any of that had to do with me." Nines told you, you knew you should get back to your little job but you were far too interested in what he was telling you.

"Then what did he say?" You asked your impatience evident.

"He said that I should stay as a machine, it's what I was designed to be. I also lied when I told you it did not affect me. It did, I wanted to add another scar to his nose but I stopped myself from doing so. I still do not understand why he said all of those things." Nines admitted as he shrugged his shoulders, you knew exactly why Gavin had said those things to Nines.

"You know how he always seems to think we're in a secret relationship?" You asked trying to prompt Nines's memory of Gavin saying those things. "Yes I remember him saying that." Nines replied, turning back around finally you went back to chopping.

"That's why he said those things, he seemed to think you wanted to be in a relationship with me. Even though I've said before that I'd rather be in a relationship with you than him." You explained as you heard something crash onto the ground, whipping your head around you saw Nines kneel down pick it back up. "Everything okay?"

"Y-Yes... of course... it just slipped from my grasp... I was not... not paying attention." Nines stammered before making the sound of clearing his throat. "Well, you have expressed that you do not want him so it is his own fault when he becomes disappointed. Especially if you get back with... RK800."

"That's a big if..." You muttered.

"Why is it a big if?" Nines asked making your eyes widen, you didn't think he'd hear what you said. "He really hurt me... he didn't mean to I know that but that doesn't make the pain go away. I can see that he's trying his hardest to make up for it. But I don't know what the right thing for me is... I don't know whether I should just move on." You explained to Nines who had turned himself back around to look at you, a worried look in his eyes.

"You must always think of yourself first, as selfish as it seems. If you believe moving on is the best thing for you then that's what you must do, but if being with him is what you need then that's what you need to do. No one can decide it for you, you should also not let anyone make you feel guilty for your decisions or thoughts." Nines said and you were genuinely shocked those things came from his mouth, you weren't sure where that came from. "Y/N?"