"Oh so this is where you have gone little one" She got closer to me and River croaked again. "He's helping you? Yes?"

That question was directed at me. "Yes, Bat Queen, he is helping move around, it's been hard with my leg and all"

"I'm glad you two found each other" River croaked, causing me to smile.

"Yeah me three" I added and then the Bat Queen flew away as many students came over and stood in front of the nest.

I'm currently standing next to Eda. I should be standing with the other students but to be honest I don't want to move, it's too difficult.

I do see Willow and Luz thought I was close enough to hear their conversation "Hey, Willow. Shouldn't Amity be here?"

"Oh, sorry, Luz. I heard she stayed home today." Interesting, but not surprising, Luz told me what happened after the two of them were at the library.

"Oh." She chuckles. "That actually makes sense" she looks down, saddened.

"Good tidings on this momentous day. You're all about to receive your witches' staff and, more importantly, meet your palisman. This is a crucial step in your magical development. Palismen are lifelong partners. They can be both your good friends and a powerful tool. In my case..." Principal Bump snaps his fingers and Frewin opens his eyes, jumps off his head and turns into a staff, revealing Bump's body length black hair and the scar on his right eye, his left one closed. The class gasps in awestruck.

"Holy Titan!" Luz gasped.

"Frewin here, helps me see."

Eda nudged my shoulder slightly, I looked towards her and she gestured towards River on my shoulder.

I sighed before looking at the crowd. "And in my case, River helps me get around" I looked towards him and he moved to the staff again. I hit it on the ground and just ended up directly next to Willow, guess that tagging thing worked.

Eda stepped forward. "Now, traditionally, young witches carve their staffs from the branch of an old palistrom tree"

"But sadly, palistrom trees are becoming more rare. And those that remain are guarded covetously." Bump added

"That's why I've teamed up with Bumpy-poo..."

"Never call me that."

"...to bring you..."

The Bat Queen flies down and lands on the nest. "Palisman adoption day!" A door opens on the nest and several palismen emerge from it.

"They're so cute!"

"Thanks for the favor, BQ. Here's your whistle back." Eda handed the whistle toward the Bat Queen

"Save it for another time. This was my pleasure. What a wonderful idea."

I hit my staff and stood next to Eda again. We watched as many of my peers got their palisman, it was actually really nice to see. That is until Luz went to get hers, and none of them connected with her.

Luz was bummed for the rest of the day and when we got home she went straight to our room without saying a word. I decided to give her some space so I sat on the couch.

Eda sat next to me, "hey can we talk, kid?"

Eda was being surprisingly serious and that worried me. "What about?" I asked skeptically

"This morning, you took us to the corner.." as she was talking I raised my knees to my chest and hugged them. Well only one of them, I couldn't lift the other. "I just wanted to make sure you were okay, I know it probably brought back some memories being back there..."