01. game on

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

the present _ now

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

I take a last look in the mirror. My long black hair is up into a stylish messy bun - which looked perfect after the third try - the black dress with white spaghetti straps and a thin white line at the bottom of the dress, gives me only enough cleavage so it wouldn't be scandalous but enough to look attractive. Black Prada high heels are adoring my feet and golden earrings are hanging from my ears, matching the necklace I'm wearing.

I quickly check my phone for any messages, only to see that I have a reminder to post about the newest trends this month on my fashion blog. Since I was working earlier for a fashion magazine, I have been travelling for one year around the world after my graduation.

I spent my next two years in Paris. In these years I learned a lot about fashion, I visited shows, met designers, was apart of shootings for magazines and that is how I got my job at Vogue. One of the most famous fashion magazines in the world and I couldn't be any luckier to work with them but after a while, I started to miss my family, so I decided to quit my job and move to Meridian City to study fashion design and to be closer to my parents.

I mean not everyone gets a chance to work for Vogue but I decided what is the best for me. Besides, my blog gained a lot of popularity through the last months and I have thousands of views every week. I even get paid for promotions and I'm still invited to several events, so I don't have to struggle with money.

I was born and raised in England but after I graduated my parents decided to move back to Thunder Bay.

I shut off my phone and put it in my purse, I grab my black coat and walk down the stairs of my parents' house in Thunder Bay. I'm ready to go to the Crist's house because my parents persuaded me to come to Trevor's farewell party since my parents are good friends with Mrs. Christ. I really hope that I won't be punching anyone today because Trevor Crist is a fucking asshole.

The Crist family visited us sometimes in England, while Michael is Michael, Trevor always tried to get in my pants even though he had a girlfriend. Fucking disgusting.

"Eve we need to go!" My mother yells from downstairs and I sigh heavily, going down the stairs of my parents' house, since moving back from Paris my mother wanted me to visit them and I couldn't agree more since I did miss them - but I wasn't expecting to go to some party.

"Alright, let's go."
"You look beautiful sweetheart." My dad says and kisses my forehead, I smile and look at my parents being so happy with each other. I do hope that one day I will find my true love as well.
"Come on, we don't want to be late." My mother says and walks out of the front door, me and my dad following her outside to a limousine ready for us.

We sit down and drive towards the Crist's residence.

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

My parents and I step outside to the terrace, immediately greeted by a crowd of different influential people in Thunder Bay. A waiter walks up to us and offers a glass of champagne. Each one of us takes one and I turn around so no one is able to see me and I gulp down the whole thing. No way in hell will I stay here sober.

"Evelyn!" My mom scolds me and my dad only laughs.
"Just don't try to punch anyone, understand?" My dad teases me.
"Yes sir." I mock salute and my parents walk off, leaving me alone.

I walk back to the solarium and take my phone out, looking if I have new message from my friend Isabel, a girl I met in Thunder Bay 5 years ago when I was visiting with my family - we instantly clicked and since then we are best friends. She's an amazing figure skater and after winning countless competitions, she decided she wants to study as well and moved to Meridian City just like me.

I will live in Delcour since Mrs. Crist offered me an apartment there and I instantly agreed because I wouldn't want to go and search for a new apartment when I have so much work to do for my studies.

I see no message but I decide to text her if we can meet up next week. I shut my phone and put it back into my purse. As I look up I freeze.

You got to be fucking shitting me right now.

There he is sitting in one of the cushioned chairs - Michael fucking Crist - all the way at the back of  the solarium, his eyes are locked on mine, looking eerily calm.

Let's just say, Michael and I have a small history. At the beginning, we were acquaintances but as we grew older, there was some tension and one night it was cut off with a knife.

He leans back in his heavy armchair - holding my gaze. One hand rests on a basketball that sits on top of his thigh, and the other hand lays on the armrest, the neck of a beer bottle hanging from his fingers.

I analyze his appearance, his light brown hair is perfectly styled, his goddamn hazel eyes look darker as I remember them, when he looked down at me, his body was so... - NO, snap out of it Evelyn. His full lips hold no hint of a smile, and his tall frame nearly consumes his chair.

He wears black pants with a black suit jacket, and his white shirt is open at the collar. No tie, because, as usual, he does what he wants and always claims what he wants.

Funny how our outfits match but I'm not the old naive little Eve anymore. I turned from the prey he chased into the hunter that will chase him and I will let him know that.

"Hello Micheal. Long time no see." I greet him with a smirk, slowly walking towards him with confidence.

I watch him rise out of his chair and he drops the basketball into the seat, keeping his eyes on me as he walks over, still not saying nothing.
He's so close to me and narrows his eyes, I can see his hands slowly turn into fists. My smile only widens.

"How have you been, darling?" I ask innocently, trying to get a reaction out of him.
In one swift moment I'm pinned against the wall. 
I'm slightly surprised but my smirk stays on my face.

"What are you doing here?" Michael asks, his eyes narrowing.
"Can't I just visit an old friend?" I ask back and he grabs a fistful of my hair with his right hand, pulling slightly.

This gesture brings me back to three years ago and it seems so that Michael thinks the same thing because his eyes glance to my red lips, my smirk only widens.
"Don't worry, I'm not here for you, I'm here because your mother invited my family." I reply, grabbing his hand and removing it.

I'm done playing your games, now you are going to play mine.

He doesn't say anything else and I turn around, walking back outside the terrace, passing Trevor and a blond girl while I feel his gaze on me the entire time.

Game on Michael.

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Author's note:

The first chapter of THE ART OF DESIRE and I just wanted to add a little bit of a background information at the beginning, so you get to know Evelyn a little more and how she's connected to Michael and his family.

How did you like this first chapter? Any thoughts?