Chapter 27

There was an energy in the room as the music continued. All eyes were on Thranduil, spinning and dipping his human companion across the dancefloor. It seemed very intimate for those standing on the sidelines, too intimate for simply a king dancing with a guest... there was something else there that, even those who had no inkling before this moment, certainly did once they saw the two of you together.

It was a wonderful sight nonetheless. There had been a time, long ago, when Thranduil had joined in on these festivities more. When he would dance and sing and laugh as much as the next elf. After his wife's passing, however, Thranduil had simply stopped. He had not had it in him to dance and be merry, not without her. It was as though the very joy had been sucked out of him when the life left her body.

Legolas did not actually even remember a time when his father had joined in more than simply giving a speech or rubbing elbows with dignitaries during such events. He was practically buzzing with excitement as he moved back to the table and seated himself, watching you and his father with a kind of reverence on his fair features. Legolas had never thought this day would come. The day he realised, truly, that his father had fallen in love.

He would not speak it out loud, especially not to the king himself, but he could see it regardless. It was clear as day. When his father had taken you prisoner here, he had intended to simply look out for you and use your presence as a way to soften his father in regards to the world beyond the borders of the Woodland Realm. The way things had developed between the pair of you was something beyond his imagination. Still, it made him very happy.

Surprising practically everyone who know him, and himself, Thranduil actually led you in one more dance that night, relishing in the joy on your face and the fact he was presented with a genuine reason to be able to have you quite so close. Not that he intended to admit that aloud.

After returning to the table, Thranduil made a point of lavishing you with the attention he had wished to bestow upon you when this feast began. Soon enough, you were both talking and drinking as though it were just the two of you back in the library or in his private dining hall. Your night certainly brightened up, though even without Thranduil's dancing and his attentiveness, you would have thoroughly enjoyed the whole affair. You decided that elvish festivals were certainly one of your favourite things.

It was just so bright and colourful, full of good food and good music, merrymaking and laughter. Dancing and singing. Homage to the passing of the season. The whole thing was simply beautiful and far outshone any human traditions you might have seen back in your village.

Late into the night, after a little more wine than you had intended to drink, Thranduil had bidden you to stand and, placing his hand upon your lower back in the slightest show of possession, led you out of the hall. Eventually, you found yourself standing on a large, stunning balcony that overlooked the forest. You wondered if you could explore these halls your whole life and still find somewhere new to surprise you.

"I trust you have enjoyed yourself." Thranduil said softly, smiling slightly as he watched you taking in the view.

"Oh, yes!" You nodded fervently, turning your head, eyes shining up at him. "It's all so wonderful!" You told him, noting the pleased look in his eyes as you spoke. "And I certainly appreciate you indulging me in the dancing."

Thranduil grinned a little, thinking back over the way he had noticed everybody eyeing the two of you as he'd actually walked towards the dancefloor with you. The disbelief. He did rather enjoy shocking people.

"It was no great sacrifice, I must admit." Thranduil hummed, turning his attention to the view of the trees beyond his halls. "I had rather an enjoyable time." A slight smirk tugged at the corners of his lips as he looked at you again, thinking back to the way he had held you, twirling you around the floor, your body so close and so warm.

You flushed under his gaze, though you didn't entirely know why. There was something in his eyes and you wished you could peek into his thoughts for just a moment.

"Are you happy here?" Thranduil found himself asking you suddenly, after a brief silence.

You hesitated not even for a second before you nodded, smiling slightly as you looked up at him, however he noticed it. He also saw something written in your gaze. Something he couldn't decipher. Something that you did not want to admit, perhaps.

"Tell me." He said gently, voice just above a whisper, as if he were afraid of the unspoken words inside your head.

You didn't look at him for another long moment as you did your best to try and figure out how to put it. You loved being around him, you liked the people here, you had fun... but is a gilded cage not still a cage?

"Can a person be truly happy if they are not actually free?" You asked then, lifting your gaze to his face in time to see him covering some emotion that had flickered unbidden into his expression. You wondered if you had upset him. That was the reason you had not wanted to say anything, the reason you were loath to even keep bringing this up... however, you had absolutely no desire to lie to him.

Thranduil frowned softly, nodding because he supposed that deep down he had known what you were going to say... he'd just wanted to be sure. It upset him to know that you could perhaps never be fully happy here. Over the time he had grown so close to you, he found that it was all he had wanted. For you to be happy here, for you to want to stay... with him. It pained him to know that he had caused this. Brought such pain down upon you.

"If only I could see my father." You sighed, moving to sit down on a little stone chair nearby. You didn't even know why you were saying it but you wanted Thranduil to know what was on your mind, to know that you still missed him desperately, even if other parts of you were quite happy here in this place. "I just miss him so much."

A silence followed during which you looked up at the sky, watching the stars twinkle overhead as though they had not a care in the whole world, and Thranduil mulled something over in his mind as he watched you in turn. You were not hinting to be let go, he could see that quite clearly. No, in fact, you were simply sharing your thoughts with him, your feelings. Confiding in him. Your desire to flee these halls was no longer overwhelming but you were quite obviously torn in two.

"There may be a way." He said suddenly, watching you turn your curious gaze upon him. "Come with me." Thranduil held out his hand to help you onto your feet and then he turned and led you back inside.