Chapter 12

You'd found Myleth on your way down the corridor and she had greeted you like an old friend, linking her arm through your own and walking with you towards the dining hall. The way she talked and her mere presence had a way of putting you instantly at ease. She was quite possibly your favourite elf here, the prince a close second. The king, of course, was right down at the bottom of the list.

Myleth steered you to the table where Tauriel and Legolas were sitting, Elros drifting over to join the group soon after and there was a comfortable buzz of conversation as you all ate. You picked at the food, not feeling entirely hungry, though you knew that you had to keep your strength up the best you could.

Legolas watched you quietly for a few moments, studying your movements and your expression. He thought back to his father, the way you stood up to him, the way you'd brought him back from the forest seriously injured even though it meant forfeiting your freedom, the way you'd insisted on tending his wounds when the stubborn king had refused a healer. You hadn't had to do any of that and Legolas thought you to be a woman of real integrity.

"So." He said your name, gaining your attention. "What sort of things do you do? Back in your village?"

Everyone turned their attention on you, gazes shining with interest as they waited for your answer. You were a little taken aback by the genuine expressions you saw looking back at you. Did they truly want to know the answer? Why? You were almost as confused by their interest of you as you had been by their concern and worry for the King.

"Well." You began, having a sip of water before continuing on. "My father and I ran our farm. Most of all, I liked to read." You spoke in the past tense, telling them what you did, whereas Legolas had asked you what you do.

"You like reading?" Legolas smiled brightly. "Would you like me to get some books brought to your room? I am sure you would like more things to pass your time with while you are here."

Eagerly, you nodded, a smile tugging at your lips. Books?! You had been going slightly stir crazy shut up in that room all the time with absolutely nothing but your thoughts to entertain you. You had been missing your books so much. Your stories and your knowledge. "Yes please!"

"Consider it done." Legolas grinned, nodding at you before he moved to stand. Tauriel followed suit, nudging Elros who had whispered something in her ear that you assumed was a joke of some kind. "I will see you later." Legolas took his leave, the redhead following him. Eventually, Myleth stood and took her leave as well, needing to go and get some work done and Elros drifted away soon after, leaving you alone. You felt quite awkward about this because you were a prisoner so why hadn't anyone escorted you back to your room? Still, you reminded yourself that the guard hadn't jumped on you when you left and Legolas hadn't seemed eager to chase you back. You wondered when the King would wake up and these small freedoms would once again be taken away.

You entertained yourself walking through the twisting hallways, taking in the wonder of the Woodland Realm. It truly was breathtaking, you could never have dreamed up anything so intricate and beautiful in your wildest dreams. Such a shame it was so shrouded in darkness. Eventually, you headed off in the direction of your room, slipping inside with a sigh. Your gaze landed on the little pile of books on the table and your face brightened. Legolas had been true to his word and you moved over, picking up the one at the top of the pile, and opening it. It was a book of poetry and you began devouring it page by page, eventually drifting back off into the most peaceful slumber you'd experienced since arriving in this accursed forest.

───────────────────────────────────

When you opened your eyes again, it was incredibly dark, and you figured that it must be late in the night by this point. The book you had been reading had fallen closed beside you, in the process of falling off the bed. You rescued it from its precarious position and swung your legs off the bed, sitting up and looking around the room. There was a tray of bread, cheese, and fruit on the table by the door which told you that Myleth had probably come along while you were sleeping. Standing, you moved over to the food, nibbling gratefully as you fully woke up.

A short time later, you were going stir crazy again. You wanted to read a little more but you found that you wanted a change of scenery. Venturing to the door, book in hand, you eased it open and peeked out. A guard was standing there still and your heart jumped into your throat, but they made no move to stop you as you took tentative steps out into the hall, gathering the courage to keep moving. You breathed a sigh of relief as you rounded the corner, shoulders relaxing a little.

Your sense of direction in this place was still not perfect, though you were sure it wasn't supposed to be even slightly decent considering you were meant to be shut away and not allowed to wander. You wondered if Legolas had said something to the guard when his father had gotten injured but you couldn't figure out why he would have bothered. You let your feet carry you, noting how quiet it was, as you took in the architecture and decoration of the place.

When you finally blinked yourself back fully to the present moment, you realised you recognised the hallway you had found yourself in... and the door you were now standing outside of. This was the King's room. You immediately turned, panicking as you realised where you had ended up, desperate to be away but then something caused you to hesitate. You eyed the door, curious to actually see how he was recovering. You hadn't seen him or asked about him since you heard the news he'd fallen unconscious due to poison.

Hesitating briefly before deciding to just do it, you reached for the handle and eased the door open. A healer inside the room who was checking on the King looked up in shock but for some reason didn't say anything, recognising you. They finished up and eventually left you there, for some reason moving to take a seat in the chair next to the bed.

Staring at Thranduil, you shook your head. He was such an idiot for getting himself into this position. Sighing, your fingers opened the book and flicked through the pages. You told yourself that you would stay here for another minute and then you would leave, maybe find somewhere pretty to sit and finish reading, but you ended up perched there for a while.

When Legolas came to check on his father later, he found you still sitting there, now actually reading aloud from the book. He was stunned as he stood there watching you, gaze flickering to his father just briefly before he eased the door closed again before you ever knew he was even there, walking off with a smile on his face.

"--and over Middle Earth he passed
and heard at last the weeping sore--"

"...of women and of elven-maids
in Elder days, in years of yore..."

Your head shot up at the voice which had joined yours, finishing the next line from the Song of Eärendil which you had been reading out loud. The book nearly dropped out of your hands altogether as you looked over at the bed, finding Thranduil's eyes now open and fixed on you.