Chapter 9

When Thranduil had thundered past the guards at the gates in pursuit of you, every elf had been left trying to catch up with whatever had just transpired. When you'd gone running out into the night, fleeing into the forest, they hadn't even been certain if you had been released or not because it didn't make sense to them that you would be roaming around by yourself in the first place. Then, when the King himself had raced after you like a madman, even more confusion reigned down on the elves of the kingdom. Once Feren had heard what happened, he had leapt to his feet at once, rushed from his chamber, and started throwing orders around. He was preparing a group to go after their King and was standing at the head of them, about to give the order to head out.

The sight of you walking alongside the horse with Thranduil in the saddle was one he hadn't expected to see when he turned his head. Feren's eyes nearly bugged out of their sockets as he forced his feet to move, rushing over to the King. He gave you a look of confusion, unable to understand what was happening because it was clear that Thranduil had been injured out there somehow and... you were no longer running.

"My Lord!" He moved to help Thranduil down from the horse but the King waved him away and insisted on dismounting himself, biting back a wince as his feet hit the floor. "Take the horse back to the stables." He ordered, turning for the doors. He didn't say a word to or about you, continuing on as he made his way inside. "There was an orc pack out there, send a company immediately. I want to know if there are any more and what they were doing in these parts."

"Yes, my King." Feren said quickly, turning to gesture to a nearby elf who nodded and scampered away. "I will fetch the healers." He added.

"No." Thranduil gritted out. "I am fine. Leave me be." He could feel the poison working its way into his system and he had a few other more superficial wounds from the blades of the orcs but he would sort it himself. He wanted to be alone. He was still angry and now he was in pain which, if possible, only served to make him angrier.

You watched him sweep away towards the stairs that led to his own rooms with a frown. He was really going to just walk off and not see anybody? You had seen the fight and as amazing as he had been, as skilled, you weren't stupid. You still had no inkling that the blade had been poisoned but you were aware that he definitely had at least one other cut on his forearm where his tunic had been ripped by a blade. Before you could even really fully realise what you were doing, your feet had started moving, carrying you up the stairs and down the halls, following the King as he escaped to the privacy of his chambers. Nobody stopped you.

Thranduil became aware of your footsteps behind him and he rolled his eyes, throwing you a glare over his shoulder. "You are either lost, girl, or incredibly stupid."

"Well, I know which one you are." You snapped before you could stop yourself.

He whirled on you, turning with terrifying speed. "Excuse me?" He growled.

Fear spiked through you for a moment but this time you were quick to get it under control. If he wanted you dead, he would have just let those orcs kill you. Right? "You are hurt and yet you refuse to let anybody help."

"I do not need any help." Thranduil sneered in reply, turning on his heel and striding away from you, long legs carrying him so fast that you almost had to run to keep up with him.

This elf was so stubborn and arrogant, so utterly foolish, that you could not believe it. "Your son told me that my father refused help from the healers too and look at the state he ended up in."

Thranduil eyed you, unamused that his son had once again been seemingly sharing every little thing with you, a random human who should still be rotting in the dungeons to prevent him this headache. Why was Legolas spending all his time and energy on - what? - making a friend out of you? The idea might have made Thranduil laugh if it wasn't so ridiculous.

"Unlike your father, I actually have skill in healing myself." He pushed the door to his bed chamber open and strode in, not holding the door for you to follow because of course you were not invited and he wanted you to simply go away, go back to your own room and stay there forever for all he cared. He didn't want to see you, you had caused him far too much trouble and anguish this night.

You hesitated for a long moment, aware that you were absolutely pushing your luck right now, but then you pushed the door open and followed him in.

Thranduil, in the process of shrugging his tunic off, turned to you with an incredulous look on his face. "In case I wasn't clear." He hissed at you. "You are unwelcome here."

"In case I wasn't clear." You said carefully, taking slow, careful steps towards him, not wanting him to lash out despite how very clear it was that you were crossing many boundaries. "You need help. So let me." You had traded your freedom once more to get him back here and you weren't going to let his stubbornness see him not take care of his wounds properly. You seemed to forget for a moment that he was a king, an elf, and a warrior who had seen far more than you could ever hope to see in your short life.

Thranduil practically growled at you as he filled up a goblet with what you could only assume was wine, downing the whole thing in one swift motion. He moved to sit down on a chair beside a small table, unbuttoning the rest of his tunic in deathly silence. You hovered by the door, watching with uncertainty before it became apparent to you that he had agreed without actually letting you know that he had agreed. With the briefest roll of your eyes, you crossed the room towards him before hesitating as the door behind you opened. Legolas strode in, worry etched on his face. He stopped short when he saw you, his expression turning to surprise to see you in here, though he recovered quickly enough.

"Ada... the healers instructed me to bring these to you." Since he was being stubborn and refusing their direct aid, though Legolas kept that part to himself.

He set a few items on the table next to his father's wine and your gaze followed his movements. You saw there were various herbs and some damp towels. You moved forward and picked one up, turning to look at Thranduil. He glared back at you in complete silence before a huff of air came from his nose and he practically ripped the rest of his tunic away. He held back a wince at the pain that rippled through his shoulder but you saw it all the same and you knew Legolas would have too. The Prince was standing in slightly stunned silence, watching you as he tried to figure out what he had walked in on here. Last time he had seen you, you'd been clear you were not his father's biggest fan, and from what he'd heard you'd also made a run for it.

Thranduil's eyes were burning holes in your skin as he stared at you but he didn't move and so you tentatively moved towards him. His gaze was like a dare and you weren't going to let him win whatever game this was. Lifting the cloth, you began to clean his wounds, starting with the one on his arm.

His sharp hiss made clear to you that it hurt and part of you did feel some satisfaction at that... he deserved it, after all.