Chapter 2

You suddenly became aware that you were inside and your mind was slowly released from the grip the forest had had over it. How foolish you had been to enter these parts alone, without a single thought. But your father.... your father!

Panic in your eyes, you turned to look at the guard who had hold of your arm. He was tall and his dark hair was neatly braided out of his face, revealing his pointed ears. Elves.

"Please..." You began. "I have to..." One look from the elf caused you to close your mouth almost immediately, the words dying in your throat. You turned to look ahead with a frown as you were led - or dragged - along twisting corridors that seemed to be made out of the forest itself. It took your breath away, the very sight of this place. Where were you?

You felt like your legs could give out beneath you as you mindlessly allowed yourself to be led along the magnificent walkways, aware that you were being looked at by passing elves, mostly with curiosity you thought, though you couldn't be certain.

Eventually, you found yourself on a high platform and everyone around you came to a stop, forcing your legs to still also. You still felt slightly off balance and your mind was having a difficult time catching up to what exactly was happening. You couldn't believe that you had failed so spectacularly. Now that you were out of that foggy-feeling forest, your thoughts had cleared and you were horribly concerned. Your father was still out there somewhere, lost in that horrible forest, and you had gotten yourself captured by elves of all things. Though they had saved you from the spider, hadn't they? Though you got the feeling that it wasn't exactly an intentional act.

"What have we here?" The voice rang out from somewhere just above you, covering the room like velvet. Frowning, you lifted your gaze, finally noticing the figure seated upon a throne at the top of a set of steps. Your whole body went still and your heart felt like it dropped into your toes as your eyes locked with his. He tilted his head slightly as he regarded you, white hair falling down his shoulders. This was the most beautiful creature you had ever seen but there was a chill that ran through you as he looked into your eyes, his expression like ice.

"A human." He mused as he rose from his seat and turned to move gracefully down the steps, towards you. His gaze was fixed on you every second and you found yourself unable to look away, not sure if you were more enthralled or terrified. "Why are you trespassing in my kingdom?"

A frown clouded your expression as you looked back at him, horror suddenly blooming in your chest. Trespassing? No, you hadn't even known where you were. Take her to the king, that elf had said. The being now standing directly in front of you, looking down his stupidly perfect nose at you, was undeniably the King.

The Elvenking of Mirkwood.

A deafening silence followed as you lost your thoughts somewhere in the back of your head. Your tongue felt like concrete in your mouth and your throat felt dry as sandpaper. The guard at your side shifted ever so slightly, uncomfortably.

"Speak, girl!" The king snapped, making you jump. He merely arched a brow, unimpressed.

"I..." The words needed to be forced out of you. Fear had once again taken hold and you were no longer enamoured by his appearance, not really. He was terrifying. "I didn't mean.... y-your majesty, I did not know. I was..." You paused, swallowing thickly, unable to meet the gaze of the king any longer. "I was looking for my father, he... he is missing, I believe he is lost in the woods.... forgive me, I... I did not...." Nothing more came but you were fairly sure that you wouldn't have been able to get anything else out even if you had tried.

The king straightened, turning away from you. His back to you now, he seemed to be deep in thought. Unbeknownst to you, he was linking your words with the prisoner that had very recently come to dwell in his dungeons. He took so long to speak that you thought that perhaps he had decided to say nothing at all. When his voice came, he was speaking words that you couldn't understand. The guard near to you suddenly came to life again as he bowed and turned away, retreating out of the heavy doors at the entrance to the throne room.