Chapter 3 - Searching for What Cannot be Found

Wind rushed through your fur, your tail flying behind you as you fell down the side of the building. Your stomach was turned upside down, but didn't feel sick, used to the sudden change in gravity. Eyes closing momentarily to relief them of their dryness, their snapped open with confidence. A smirk fell upon your lips as you thrusted your grappling hook forward. Aiming it to a nearby building, the hook fired and pierced into the cement of the building. As it hit the wall extra hooks dug into the cement to reinforce its grip. The wire locked in place once the hook was secured on the building, saving your from your fall and swing you over various streets of the city.

Yanking yourself up, you flung yourself up in the air as you retracted your hook. The hook clicked in place in the barrel, ready to relaunch. Flipping yourself backwards, you refired your grabbling hook into another building, yet again swinging yourself forward.

Repeating this method a few times over, the forest came into view.

With one final swing, you let your forward momentum stop, resulting in you falling straight down towards the earth. Laughing your grappling hook one last time, you hooked onto a building right above you. The second it connected with the side of a building, it halted your fall with a jolt. The gears in the barrel churned as it released more wire, slowly placing you onto the ground.

The second your feet touched the solid pavement, your grappling hook retracted and clicked in place. Lowering your arm down, you smoothed down your messed up fur as you wandered through the outskirts of the city. Few Mobians hung around the outskirts of the city, the building growing further apart before completely disappearing. The solid cement pavement turned to worn dust and dirt and then untouched grass. And once the trees became more common than the buildings, you knew you left Station Square.

Trees danced gently from the chilling breeze, their leaves providing the music as they rustled together. The crunching of the leaves under your feet as you wandered through the forest added to the rhythm. Flickies fluttered around, twittering joyfully as they flew between the trees. Critters of all different sizes climbed the trunks of the trees, scattered along the grass, or his in their hallows. Some afraid of your presence, others unbothered.

Taking in the fresh air, you wandered through the forest effortlessly. Hoping over fallen trees, jumping over running creeks, manoeuvring through small rock valleys. Your mind set on a location. The sun had begun to warm the forest once it passed over the city skylines. Feeling the warm sun heat up your cool form through small gaps in the leaves, you breathed in deeply as you stepped out into a wide plain of grass. Its sharp beige blades swaying in the soothing winds. Out in the middle of the field sat buildings, all beaten up and in ruin. Eyes resting on the tattered place, you took sturdy steps towards your desired location.

Beside you, Infinite made his reappearance, his body floating beside you, arms resting against the back of his head. Your ear flicked in his direction, but you refused to look in his direction, not wanting to acknowledge his presence. His eyes glared in your direction, mask hiding his irritated expression as you marched forward.

"You're not going to find anything," he warned, moving to float in front of you. Not sparing him any time, you walked straight through his non existent form. His nose let out a rough huff in exasperation. "I'm just trying to save you time. The longer your here, the longer I have to float around you. I've tol you multiple times how to get rid of me but do you listen? NO," he dragged out his last word, eyes rolling at his own annoyance. Flicking your tail at him, motioning for him to go away, you entre the ruined town. "And you still don't listen!! (Y/A), so irritating."

After a few hours searching the entirety of the ruins, you found absolutely nothing. Well, you did find bricks, and more bricks, oh and another brick. But you refused to leave empty handed. Not again. For years you've been searching and searching.

Nothing was ever found.

It made you angry. You just wanted to be freed from this curse without sending havoc upon the world. Pushing aside a pile of rotten wooden planks, you held your breath for what could be underneath.

Oh My Goodness, its another brick. Surprise.

Standing up with a growl, you stomped your foot angrily atop the brick, obviously nothing happened to the brick, and your shoe just collected its dust. Ears pressing against your head, your hands balled into tight fists as you bared your teeth. Frustratingly, you shook your head at your misfortune. Placing your hands over your face, you dragged your hands along your face as you inhaled through your nose. Letting out your final frustrations with a thrash of your tail against the dust ridden ground, you turned yourself around and left the ruins.

"Told you," Infinite remained chilling in the meadow, his arms crossed as he waited. Rolling your eyes at the jackal, you moved passed him as you returned to the shelter of the forest, the sky having turned grey throughout the time it took you to search the broken town. "Your searching for something that doesn't exist," he sang arrogantly, circling you in the shadows of the trees, "Just give up and let me go-"

"No," you snapped, fur raised as your lashed at the invisible dog. His ears flattened, his eye falling half way at your repeated answer.

"Fine, but its you who suffers," he grumbled with crossed arms, attempting to hide his irritation. Vanishing, you felt relief untense your muscles and let your fur fall down. Sighing, you leaned your back against a tree, sliding down is and sitting cross legged on the forest floor. You leaned forward, head in your hands while your elbows pressed against the side of your knees.

You didn't know how much longer you could deal with the jackal. He was loud, pushy, annoying. Breathing through your nose, you calmed yourself, feeling way to tired to feel angry at this point. Closing your eyes, you hissed as a headache punched against your skull from the lack of sleep. Peeking through your lashes, you glanced up at the sky, watching fragments of the grey sky tumble passed you.

But you suppose being stuck with him was better than dealing with another war.

BOOM!